Now this is an earphone case!
Aug 28, 2008 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

lewislink

Banned
[size=medium]What do you think, is there enough room in this case for a set of canalphones?
[/size]

Picture0012.jpg

Picture0052-1.jpg

Picture0072.jpg

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 13
They are quite interesting. I compared them to the Klipsch Image and although they don't have the bass control of the Images, they do sound well. I won't say their sound compares to the Images, both are single BA canalphones at approximately the same shape and size, they don't, but they do have a unique sound sonic character. It's going to take awhile to fully appreciate these just like it took awhile to appreciate the Images.

Right now I'd say their sound is much more forward and harsh than the Images...this assessment is with the EQ of the source at full flat and with minimal sound enhancements. I tried them earlier and set the EQ to what I like while using the Denon 751s. However, after using these for quite a while I put in the Images and reset the EQ to flat. The Images blew me away by the bass control...just more than amazing, astounding, would be a better word...and continued to listen to them for awhile.

I decided to put these ER4Ps back in and left the EQ at flat. I'm going to put the EQ back to what it was earlier because there's just a bit of harshness and edge to the highs. The mids seem perfect and the low end, not necessarily plentiful but, is well controlled. Not even close to the control of the Images, though.

But, like I said, it will take some time for me to fully realize the quality of sound these ER4Ps have. The Images, when I first received them and for a few days afterwards, weren't apparent to me how well engineered they were. These ER4Ps might blow me away like these Images recently did.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 13
Go get an S adapter for those puppies. If you have a source that can drive them with the increased impedance, you will have quite an improvement in the sound signature.

When you say bass control, do you mean impact? I always found that the ER-4s had very good bass control, just lack of impact. Especially the S model or the P with an S adapter. They go quite low and are very detailed even at that range.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr13zehn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say bass control, do you mean impact? I always found that the ER-4s had very good bass control, just lack of impact. Especially the S model or the P with an S adapter. They go quite low and are very detailed even at that range.

That's pretty much it. The amount of bass, or lack of, from these ER4Ps is making it difficult to realize the control. But right now I'd say they don't have the control or impact of the Images. Take that with a grain of salt, though, because it takes me awhile to develop a full appreciation for a set of canalphones.

Where can I obtain the "S" adapter?

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 13
Just go with the standard 75Ohm. That will bring your Etys up to ER-4S specs and those sound like gold.

Keep in mind though that you may always like the Images better. It's possible that you are just not that hot for the Ety sound. Me, I love the Etys very much, but tastes vary quite a bit.
I would love to listen to the Images sometime as well, they seem to be great IEMs too.

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #9 of 13
The Images start out sounding very warm and having a very slight hint of muddiness in the bass but, whether or not this type of canalphone needs a break-in period, they progress to what is now, at least in my opinion, $350 canalphones that are every bit worth the cost of the Shure 530PTHs...that's right,
smily_headphones1.gif
not the regular 530s, the PTH version...which is currently $500.

And to think, some fortunate few clamped onto them at the crazy insane price of $180! I hope they realize what they have and not let the low cost skew their value of them.

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #10 of 13
Lol anyway, There certainly isn't room in your pocket though.

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 13
I would suggest that you purchase the official Ety adapter as it is a wired attenuator which in my honest opinion provides a better stress relief on the jack of whatever you're plugging them into.

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol anyway, There certainly isn't room in your pocket though.

Hehe..I'll put it in a binder and throw it on my back like a backpack...lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 13
It sure is...
...and it even fit another case.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back