Nordost Valhalla Power Cable... What??
Feb 13, 2005 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MrJoshua

500+ Head-Fier
OK, So I just found these while googling this afternoon...

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sitemap/nordo...-valhalla.html

what ?

£1750 (UK) for a 2m Power Cable???

OK, so I know it's nice to have good cables and interconnects, but...

What about the crappy power cable that runs through your walls? The connections of the crappy wire inside the sockets on your wall?

The cable used to wire up a house is usually the cheapest the electrician can get away with... How they'd laugh if they knew people were spending £1750 on a power lead for their stereo.

Damnit, you could probably re-wire your house for that sort of money (or IS that what people do BEFORE buying one of these power leads???

rolleyes.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 10
There are suckers that will buy it, so they keep producing it and jacking up the prices. Another fool will come and think that $1700 is not enough to spend on a power cord and that a $5000 one will definitely sound better than a $2000 one. Audiophiles keep their business alive.

Feb 13, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 10
There should be a limit to what they charge for these things, but there is no doubt in my mind that those Nordost cables will make a difference in a expensive high end system over a cheap grade one.

People who spend £1750 on a power cord really have to much money to play with
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 10
Yeah, the price is ridiculous, but I sure could use one of these.

A real bargain these days is the older Nordost Eldorado power cords, which can be had for little money these days in the used market. Nordost traditionally doesn't use enough AWG per leg in their power cords, including Valhalla and Eldorado. I'd like to hear what a DIY cord sounds like using Eldorado, but cutting it in half and using double the AWG per leg. I'll bet THAT would be something to behold..

Feb 14, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua
What about the crappy power cable that runs through your walls? The connections of the crappy wire inside the sockets on your wall?

The cable used to wire up a house is usually the cheapest the electrician can get away with... How they'd laugh if they knew people were spending £1750 on a power lead for their stereo.

Whether a 1750 pounds power cable is worth its price is a different question but you can use power plants (PS Audio for instance) to produce your own clean power.

I wonder if the electrician will be more amused about a 1750 pounds power cable or the fact that the state-run power is not good enough.
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 10
As long as there are rich people willing to waste their money on uber priced Power Cords, then why shouldn't they sell it to them at insane prices? It's not like you are going to buy it at that price or you are missing out on anything you need
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 10

The cable used to wire up a house is usually the cheapest the electrician can get away with.
Damnit, you could probably re-wire your house for that sort of money

rolleyes.gif

I did rewire the crappy wire inside my apartment with Cardas functional perfect pure copper...very nice upgrade to sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back