Noob with a Focal Stellia
Nov 22, 2021 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

leothurpv

New Head-Fier
Basically as titled - sorry, couldn't find much when searching and very tired lol :p!

Looking for a budget friendly portable amp for the Stellia (sub-200), more of a clean boost to be used with IOS and PC devices.

Whilst I'm here - any recommendations from owners on pads/cable upgrades in the future?

Seems like the lesser mentioned of the Focal's line-up, or maybe I'm that bad at searching the forum hah.

Thanks,
Alex

N.B. Feel free just to drop links for me to do my own research if in a rush!

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 7
FiiO Q3 THX aaa portable has been serving my Elegia well (on 3.5mm). Very well actually. Not sure if your stellia came with pentaconn or not but you can get some extra juice out of the Q3 that way if needed. Usb-c and lightning interconnects included and it all fits into the focal case nicely protected by the fiio pouch - wont pressure the headphones or bang around, though the xlr stellia cables might need to be left behind which would make sense for portable use anyway.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 7
Stick with the stock cables unless you need a different termination imo. You already bought one of the best headphones ever made, there aren't any real "upgrades". Eventually get a tested-clean balanced DAC/amp combo with a flagship dac chip and you're endgame status. I looked up the impedance of your headphones and the 3.5mm on the Q3 will power them just fine. Dynamic range, decoding and distortion specs all extremely good for $150 portable.

Nov 24, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 7
FiiO Q3 THX aaa portable has been serving my Elegia well (on 3.5mm). Very well actually. Not sure if your stellia came with pentaconn or not but you can get some extra juice out of the Q3 that way if needed. Usb-c and lightning interconnects included and it all fits into the focal case nicely protected by the fiio pouch - wont pressure the headphones or bang around, though the xlr stellia cables might need to be left behind which would make sense for portable use anyway.
Thanks for the rec, seems what I might need and the practical aspects really help too (I travel a lot for work). I noticed on another forum someone recommended the iFi Nano iDSD as a better pairing, so wonder what anyone's thoughts are on it? Got the Q3 on my Black Friday list regardless, so might give it a try!

Stick with the stock cables unless you need a different termination imo. You already bought one of the best headphones ever made, there aren't any real "upgrades". Eventually get a tested-clean balanced DAC/amp combo with a flagship dac chip and you're endgame status. I looked up the impedance of your headphones and the 3.5mm on the Q3 will power them just fine. Dynamic range, decoding and distortion specs all extremely good for $150 portable.
Focal Stellia likes silver, so I recommend Lavricables - it’s still budget friendly option and sonic quality is great.
Thanks Euter - valuable to know for down the road! Of course I'm just getting used to the sound, am definitely in no rush to chase the dragon - but the stock cable is garbage hah.... don't know what they were thinking with these microphonics and stiffness...

'Eventually get a tested-clean balanced DAC/amp combo with a flagship dac chip' - Ah, definitely the next big purchase!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back