Nomad Jukebox 3 vs Archos Studio 10 - opinions?
Jan 2, 2003 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BamBam_540

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for an HD mp3 player, and I've come down to the Nomad Jukebox 3 and Archos Studio 10 as my best bets in terms of price and availability (I'm in the UK). A lot of thread talk about these two, but I've still yet to see a direct comarison.

Size, price, build quality I can judge for myself, but I'd like input as to sound quality of the two, and the user interface.

Thanks a lot for any input.

Jan 2, 2003 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Peddler
The Nomad Jukebox 3 - no question.

The Archos really has a poor sound quality.

The Nomad sounds truly outstanding. Many people feel that it sounds better than the Ipod.

Thanks for that. I read your two reviews of the JB3 and now I'm convinced that it's the unit for me. I was all set to buy the Archos today, but (luckily) Dixons were sold out, so now I'll go for the Nomad. Where did you get yours by the way, and for how much? Dixons has it for £250 on their website - I've not seen better than that anywhere.

Also - FirmWare updates - can I get these from Creative's site? Would you recommend updatign the the latest version as soon as I get the unit?

Jan 2, 2003 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 10
I can't speak for the Creative (Nomad) Jukebox 3 though I have read positive comments on here and elsewhere. But I own an archos JBR (Jukebox Recorder) 6gig and the hardrive does make a quite bit of noise even with the 3rd party rockboxx software (though it does considerably reduce the noise compared to the orginal software).

In fact as I listen to a bit of classical now and then I am considering a DAC to remove the noice as the archos JBR has digital out/in. However I have been told that the Archos MM (multimedia) is a lot better and probably so are the newer 20 gig USB 2 JBR models though I don't know that for certain.

However I would avoid the studio at all costs as it is the worst of the archos machines and has an absolutly awful firmware and display. Definetly go for the JB3

Wordsworth

Jan 2, 2003 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 10
The Studio line of Archos is terrible. The Recorder line is much better, but nowhere near the NJB3. I have the Archos Jukebox Multimedia however and I wouldn never trade it for an NJB3, an iPod, a Zen, or anything else. I tihnk the sound quality is on par with the forementioned and it offers a lot more extra features for equal or lesser cost.

Jan 3, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 10
If it's the studio model your considering, definitely the NJB3 is the way to go.

Erock, I finally saw one of the multimedias today, but it didn't play (display model). Have you heard any of the others (NJB3, Ipod, etc) to compare the sound to? I used to have a Jukebox Recorder, and I'd be interested in your impressions. (feel free to PM me).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
If it's the studio model your considering, definitely the NJB3 is the way to go.

Erock, I finally saw one of the multimedias today, but it didn't play (display model). Have you heard any of the others (NJB3, Ipod, etc) to compare the sound to? I used to have a Jukebox Recorder, and I'd be interested in your impressions. (feel free to PM me).
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had one of the MultiMedias since they first came out. I finally reached the decision this weekend that my old Archos Studio 20 with RockBoxx sounded better than the Multi. I've been thinking about going to the NJB3 but since most of what I do is on a Mac don't know how that will affect things. I hear it's not drag & drop... unless you are on a PC with Notmad Explorer.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back