Nolan & O. Wakeman - Jabberwocky
Jun 30, 2001 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Braver

Will upgrade headphoneswhen there's a MX600.
well, this one just came in
smily_headphones1.gif
liking it already
smily_headphones1.gif

first impressions:

great artwork! (need to get some posters of this one, Pendragon, Ayreon, Arena etc etc now too
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
)

jcover.jpg

Looking at the credits, surprising to see John Mitchell and even John Jowitt (!) in the choir. Good thing "The Girl" has a big part, Tracy Hitchings got a wonderfull and very typical voice.

Everything is very keyboard-driven (nah, just kidding
wink.gif
), but ofcourse Pete Gee and Ian Salmon on the bass. The others I don't know tho. Jon Jeary? James Plumbridge (does a great job on the Jabberwocky role, wholly over the top
smily_headphones1.gif
) ?? Paul Allison? Rick Wakeman? (err...)

Can't say much about the recording-quality yet, sitting between two howling PC's listening through multimedia speakers
rolleyes.gif
(all audiophiles are having a heart-attack right now
smily_headphones1.gif
don't worry, they aren't Creative speakers, but TEAC...cheapest I could find ^_^)

"The Hound of the Baskervilles" (sp?) will be the follow-up, right? Will have some shoes to fill for sure!

Wonder what the Latin of the choir parts mean tho... Not sure what to make of the poem either
tongue.gif
"all mimsy were the borogoves"? heh

will tell you more after a few more spins, tho it practically can't go wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2001 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 9
Thought you'd like it!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

With regards to john Plumbridge, he was the vocalist in Clive Nolans very first band called Sleepwalker (no recordings for a cd exist but the bit of archive stuff I've heard its very VERY early Marillion) As an interesting piece of trivia Clive asked John to be the Vocalist in Arena when they first started it but john turned it down due to being to busy at the time etc etc

Bob Catley is the man (Boy!) who used to be in Magnum, Another aside is that Rodney Matthews who did the artwork to Jabberwocky also did the cover to the early Magnum cover artwork such as Chase the Dragon and On a storytellers Night.

Recording quality is very very dodgy! Whether its because I have an early copy or not I don't know but listen to the way Tracy (most underated female vocalist I know!!) sings the word "protected" on track 3 or four I forget which one and there is a very pronounced whistle effect, not annoying but definetly noticeable on a good setup!

Oh and it gets better the more you play it
smily_headphones1.gif

Everyone go and buy a copy now
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2001 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 9
very very early Marillion? Mick Pointer founded Marillion (got kicked out after "Script"), but I don't believe Clive was in there too. Or do you mean style-wise?

Quote:

and it gets better

goody
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2001 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 9
Braver

If you read the post again it says that john was in CLIVES band sleepwalker, I meant that the STYLE was like early marillion

Hope thats cleared the confusion up!
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2001 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 9
figured that, but you didn't say "style is like", so it confused me a bit there
wink.gif
even after reading it again :p

Jun 30, 2001 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 9
David, question about Damian Wilson. He delivered an amazing performance on Into The Electric Castle, so I'd like to knowwhich other bands he is/was in
smily_headphones1.gif
I believe he was in Landmarq, right? Which albums exactly?

Jun 30, 2001 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 9
He was on the first three albums

Solitary Witness
The Infinity Parade
The Vision Pit

I think that they have all been reissued not sure though
rolleyes.gif

Check out the bands home page at www.landmarq.net

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2001 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 9
well, some things it helps , somethings it doesn't. you're killing my bankaccount David, I'm only a student remember
wink.gif

so, which Landmarq albums do you suggest I should check out? One with Tracy and one with Damian for instance?

Jul 1, 2001 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 9
Hey you don't HAVE to buy everything at once you know!

Right

For Damian Wilson check out The Vision Pit, easily the best peformance! The other two are good but this ones the best.

Tracy Hitchings hmm This is where it gets difficult! Basically she's only done one studio album with them which is Science of Coincidence which is pretty good. They also have a live album called Thunderstruck which is one of the best live albums I've ever bought
smily_headphones1.gif
its a mix of Science and tracks from the other albums redone to fit Tracys voice! You'd like either so I am going to chicken out of a formal reccommendation!

Oh and about being a student I "work" full time and I never have enough cash for all the things that I want either
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back