No, I didn't forget I had a blog
Dec 25, 2007 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

joneeboi

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings,

Finals have passed away for me a little less than a week ago (may they rest in peace), which explains the lack of posting. I have been doing stuff, nevertheless, and I have much to report this time. What have I done in the past while? In no particular order, I built one of two Mini^3s, pimped out my MH MAX with some BGs and 1800uF Pannies, destroyed two diyMods and built another with BGs, built another PIMETA that again is screwing me like a geisha, and just general updating on the diyMod original post. Let's explore some of these happenings.

Mini^3. I forgot to order some stuff, but amb was nice enough to sell me whatever I needed. Note to self: order what you need. When I'm grabbing stuff off Mouser or Digikey, understandably I pick up a little extra in case I destroy or lose a part. With the way Digikey's resistor orders go, I had to pick up 10 of every resistor. While I was at it, I thought, "Hm, I might as well pick up enough for two boards." And that's the reason I have two boards. I'm deciding between giving one to my dad or to my brother, since they both listen to music in their regular work outs. I already promised my dad the PIMETA, but that never seems to want to work for me. As I was sitting around, hoping someone would get me the materials I needed to complete my first board (this was before amb generously offered to), I figured, "Hey, might as well try if it works." Sure enough it did. I only get maybe 1mV or 2mV DC offset per channel, which I wonder if the other parts will correct. I forgot to get all of 12 0.1uF multilayer capacitors, small enough C3a and C3b 100uF electrolytics, and D4 for the charging circuit. Plus, the knob I got was the one I hate the most. It's the one with the rubber rings around the end. I hate the way they look, and especially so since everyone has one. I must have picked up the wrong one. I actually ordered when studying for one of my finals, so I guess the stress and time restraint combined to mess with my judgment. I actually picked up three knobs, two for the Mini^3s and one for "you never know what you'll need it for." I burnt it in a couple dozen hours, so it's getting along nicely. I guess one of the drawbacks of this design is that you can't tweak the sound as much as you can with others. I haven't read the entirety of the Mini^3 thread part 1 at headwize, but I can't imagine doing much to alter the sound in this tried and true design. It seems like a fabric, where everything is interwoven into the other so that if something is missing, the rest of the design is weakened. From my initial impressions, the highs and lows aren't as forward, though it has a very spacious sound. For the most part, I chose to make this amp because of where it fits into the audio world: a small amp that can be recharged. On paper this is quite the amp, but soundwise I wasn't all that impressed. Alas, the sacrifices we make. I also haven't put in the battery either since that part of the circuit is complete. Not to mention the C3a and C3b caps I substituted for now won't allow a 9V to fit onto the super cool battery contacts. I think my soldering work on this amp was my best yet. Heat the pad and lead at the same time, touch the solder onto the pad or lead, not the gun. The solder flowed nicely to the top of the board nicely on most of my joints, so I'm happy I'm improving. I also learned why Tangent, in his flux removal video tutorial, takes so long to clean the board. I put maybe a couple minutes into my alcohol brushing, and my board is still sticky and gross. I have to clean it again later. I'll stop dumping my thoughts and move on to another amp.

While I was ordering from Digikey, I figured I could stock up on parts for my other projects. I picked up some stuff for my MAX, which was due for a tune-up. I finally settled on the sound beforehand, which I dubbed my Millett Hybrid MAX Vol. 1, but it was partly an eyesore and partly a disgrace to MAXes everywhere. I used Solen bypass caps just cause they were around, not-so-boutique Panasonic FCs at CA2 and CA7, and my CA4 and CA5 were grossly underspeced. To rectify the situation, I picked up the 1800uF Panasonic FMs recommended on the new MAX BOM and some Black Gates at parts conneXion. I intended to get the Black Gates to make something similar to the Can't Miss Build #1 on the MAX site, so while I was at parts conneXion, I also picked up some BGs for diyModding. More on that later. Right now, I'm just burning in the Black Gates and waiting for the bloom. My entire setup has changed, so meaningful sonic impressions will have to wait. Bass and treble extension has increased, though impact and forwardness have been decreased. Can you ever get both bass extension and impact at the same time? I guess you probably can, but I only have one at a time with the MAX, it seems. I picked up Standard Black Gates for both boutique positions, one at 25V and the other at 50V, both at 1000uF. Turns out that the leads on the 50V one are too thick to fit into the board's holes, so now they are floating in midair thanks to some 22AWG solid core SPC. I removed the TRS input jack too. What was I thinking? Only guitars output through quarter inch jacks. RCAs ftw!

diyModding. Boy, what a ride it has been. We are now sitting at 15,155 views and climbing. I think for the past while we've been averaging 1000 hits a day. I'm very glad about this. I actually fried one of my diyMod boards by removing an inductor that was not to be removed, so I was in need of another. Luckily, a friend supplied me with a dead one, which was actually very easily fixed. I like his better because it feels much smoother in the hand overall. I put my Black Gate caps inside the iPod, so regular line outs can enjoy the purer sound of the diyMod. Right now I'm burning in both the Millett Hybrid MAX (not Vol. 2 just yet) and the diyMod 4G click wheel. 200 hours is just under 2 weeks of straight playing, so maybe after a month or more it'll be ready. As for destroying two diyMods, I accidentally ripped off the pads for the other diyMod, which is incredibly annoying as another logic board at ifixit is $120. I wonder if I can fix it some other way before resorting to that. Alas, keep checking the original post because I keep updating it. If we're so fortunate, we can get a diyMod nano 2G underway, as well as a diyMod mini 1G and more.

Moving onto a less successful build, my PIMETA is sitting across the room putting out no music. I think I built it's pretty cleanly built, so I wonder if the BUF634s are dead. I tried bypassing the ground channel entirely, but that didn't fix it. The right channel isn't giving any sound when the left channel is. I tried rolling opamps and buffers but no combination has worked so far. Must get help thread on the way.

So that's been the past couple weeks in a nutshell. I'm very excited to get my Mini^3 up and running so that I can rock out with my diyMod 4G + Mini^3 + Shure E4/Jonathan Grado SR60/Koss KSC75 setup. Alas, Christmas lunch calls, so have a Merry Christmas everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back