Njoe Tjoeb 4000
Jul 13, 2001 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bootman

King o'Ping
Has anyone had any hands on experience with the Tjoeb?

cd4000.jpg

4000inside.jpg

4000boarda.jpg

Here is a pro review:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin.../tjoeb4000.htm

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2001 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 13
Yep! I use the Njoe Tjoeb 4000 as my current CDP. It is a tube-based player, so I was a little worried about combining it with the MGHead amp and getting an overly "warm" sound. This has not been a problem however. It sounds beautiful to my ears: clear and crisp high's and excellent mids.

The CD tray is very responsive and sturdy. Overall build quality appears to be excellent and the external appearance is very slick imo. I haven't tested the headpone jack yet...so I am not sure if it is strong enough to power my HD600's.

The guy's I bought it from down at Upscale Audio were very friendly and knowledgable as well.

I would defintely recommend!
smily_headphones1.gif

Erebus.

Jul 15, 2001 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 13
mmm...sweet looking
smily_headphones1.gif

Out of curiosity, what would you get if you combined this CD player with a solid state amp? would you get a warm tube sound with solid state dynamics?

Jul 15, 2001 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 13
raymondlin, they actually did a complete overhaul of the unit. About the only thing "stock" after they're done is the actual transport mechanism. According to the web page, these are the things they did:

Added tube board for the output stage.

Replaced the standard opamp with Burr-Brown opamps, and used high-quality ic sockets so that the opamps can be upgraded later.

Converted transistor-style muting circuit to relay-based circuit.

Upgraded all critical wiring to high quality teflon-insulated signal wire.

Replaced standard RCA connectors with gold-plated connectors.

Stabilized the high-voltage supply.

Added independent logic stabilization for drive, DAC, and display.

Upgraded input signal capacitators, output capacitators, and diodes.

Added output bridges so that the end-user can adjust output level (5v, 2.5V, 1.25V, .7V)

All soldering done using silver solder.

Jul 16, 2001 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 13
Hey folks

I've got my trusty old Marantz CD-63 for my headphone set-up. It's had the output IC and power cable upgraded (as well as some judicious blu-tacking
wink.gif
), but I'm a fairly big tube fan and the concept of a tube output stage is very appealing. My Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 has one and it's just GORGEOUS!

Does anyone know if AH! do aftermarket upgrades, or is it possible to get the stuff as a "kit" to modify one's existing player? (OK, I could just e-mail them and ask, but this is far more fun!)

Cheers
Hamsta

Jul 16, 2001 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 13
They do have a digital out as an option but the whole point of a tube mod is for the analog end. I don't know how the stock marantz sounds as a transport.

(actually transports having a "sound" is a whole other can of worms!
wink.gif
)

Jul 16, 2001 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 13
If you're going to use it as a transport, you should just spend the $150 or whatever and get the un-modified Marantz, since the digital output is exactly the same on both.

Jul 18, 2001 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 13
Believe it or not, Dan Wright and a few others have certain players that they mod specifically for being a transport. The one I'm thinking of is a Pioneer something-or-other, I forget. Maybe look into that...

Jul 20, 2001 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 13
Havn't heard the Tjoeb ... but have a similar CD player in the nOrh CD-1 . I had the same concerns as Erebus with pairing this tube player with the MG-Head. But the sound is fantastic. Loads of grain free detail and a thick midrange that bends the sound of CDs toward natural/live instead of analytical/cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back