Nine Inch Nails - Hurt - very strange sounding...
Jun 28, 2002 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Khazim

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a big fan of NIN and I finally bought The Downward Spiral CD a few weeks ago. I noticed on my crappy Sony MDR-V101 headphones that the highest sound in the song Hurt gets distorted (the high part of the music when he says I hurt my self today... I noticed it at the "today" part). I thought it was just the headphones so I rip the CD to mp3 and take a listen with my also crappy Sound Blaster PCI 128 sound card + JBL Pro speakers. I still hear it, both when playing from the CD and mp3.

Recently I got a ChromeX mp3/cd player. I'm using the earbuds that came with it until tomorrow when I get my Sennheiser HD280PROs. I burned a CD with NIN, listened to hurt, and now I notice the distortion on pretty much every part of the song, except the chorus. It's on the left side only though... there's some weird hissing or something going on on the left side... the right side is fine. I put in the actual DS CD and heard the same thing.

Does anyone know if this is normal (badly recorded?) or is my CD just bad?

Jun 28, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Khazim
I'm a big fan of NIN and I finally bought The Downward Spiral CD a few weeks ago. I noticed on my crappy Sony MDR-V101 headphones that the highest sound in the song Hurt gets distorted (the high part of the music when he says I hurt my self today... I noticed it at the "today" part). I thought it was just the headphones so I rip the CD to mp3 and take a listen with my also crappy Sound Blaster PCI 128 sound card + JBL Pro speakers. I still hear it, both when playing from the CD and mp3.

Recently I got a ChromeX mp3/cd player. I'm using the earbuds that came with it until tomorrow when I get my Sennheiser HD280PROs. I burned a CD with NIN, listened to hurt, and now I notice the distortion on pretty much every part of the song, except the chorus. It's on the left side only though... there's some weird hissing or something going on on the left side... the right side is fine. I put in the actual DS CD and heard the same thing.

Does anyone know if this is normal (badly recorded?) or is my CD just bad?

You've never noticed that before?? It's supposed to be there.

It's not badly recorded when it was on purpose..
wink.gif

If you really want a mind-screw, listen to the opening of Mr. Self Destruct. Hear that high-pitch ringing?

Trent is a genius. His albums contain hidden-detail galore!

Jun 28, 2002 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 7
Double your pleasure with double-post fun!

Please ignore.

This space for rent

Jun 29, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Khazim
I'm a big fan of NIN and I finally bought The Downward Spiral CD a few weeks ago.

um, if you're such a big nin fan.. how come you waited till the album has been out eight years to buy it? heheh
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 7
This music is poking fun at us audiophiles. We get obsessed about lowering noise floors and the like, then buy albums with the noise deliberately mixed in!
Or perhaps it is democratic music--sounds just as good on lousy equipment.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

um, if you're such a big nin fan.. how come you waited till the album has been out eight years to buy it? heheh
wink.gif

I liked them waaay back when they pretty much only had tapes, forgot about em a bit, went into a rap phase, and now I'm recovering
wink.gif
Well, I haven't liked rap for close to a year now
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm a student without a job so I can't just buy any CDs that I want whenever so I had to wait a bit before I could get TDS.

Anyway, the distortion is much much lower now that my v6's have broken in
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back