nikon p5100: what do you guys think?
May 4, 2008 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

filipelli

Headphoneus Supremus
I am seriously considering getting this camera to accompany my stock D40. I have a sigma 30mm, but I found myself not being able to use it as much, for my needs because I have to do social shots. The reviews seem mixed. I am in no way a professional photographer and I wouldn't even call myself an amateur photographer. I am more beginner who is interested, and wants nice gear for my level. What do you guys think?

May 4, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 5
I never used it, but I personally if I already have a D40 for more serious shots, my not-so-serious DSLR will be something totally the opposite of DSLR, meaning something really small and easy to fit anywhere, and not necessarily expensive.

5100 from what I understand is a bit expensive and review says it's slow focusing. Slow focusing for me is an instant deal breaker. If you like Nikon (I assume so) why not getting something smaller but with better, faster AF ability? I don't know which one though.

Or maybe even consider other brands.

Or maybe Nikon s600; again, I never used it, but from what it says it's fast in terms of startup and AF and it has solid metal body. I think the best way is just go to the shop and compare around.

May 4, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks guys. I do have a SD1000 already but was just wondering if going to something a little more than a point and shoot will do me some good in learning about photography and in terms of quality and adjustability.

May 4, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 5
If you wanna learn photography the quick way is first try to avoid S mode (full auto mode) and start using either aperture priority or shutter speed mode. After that you can go full manual.

Buying a manual lens also forces you to learn everything quickly too. The thing is, you buy P&S for practicality not for learning, since you already have a DSLR.

Post processing and technique and stuff, just go to your local library, grab a few photography or photoshop book, read it while you are in the toilet or before you sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back