Nickel Amp reviewed and now available via pre-order
Jun 20, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #46 of 54
Thank you, yes 2.5mm actually. If you could try and report back that would be appreciated. I have ES100 and your Amp looks like a great match just need to confirm it will be a strong enough

It should be! I'm sure someone will try it this weekend at the CanJam - if not, I'll go give it a shot. The iSines are pretty low impedance (24 Ohms) so most phones, tablets, computers, and combo DACs may not be happy driving them. The iSines are rated for 500 mW max, recommend more than 50 mW; we could generate about 480 mW continuous into that load, so we're well beyond the recommended and about at the maximum. I don't know if you're going to get a better match.

NOTE: this does mean you are NOT using the Cipher cable, but the 3.5mm jack.

Jun 20, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #47 of 54
I have a little Radsone unit as well, experimenting with it around the lab... It's the same size (well, within a mm or two - same height, about 2mm thinner, about 3mm longer), so the two together make a monster of a portable, wireless rig! Note that Nickel only has a 3.5mm output and input, so I use the 3.5mm output from the Radsone. There isn't anything gained with the "balanced" output, other than a bit more noise and THD when using the balanced connection (unbalanced is better).

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #48 of 54
I have a little Radsone unit as well, experimenting with it around the lab... It's the same size (well, within a mm or two - same height, about 2mm thinner, about 3mm longer), so the two together make a monster of a portable, wireless rig! Note that Nickel only has a 3.5mm output and input, so I use the 3.5mm output from the Radsone. There isn't anything gained with the "balanced" output, other than a bit more noise and THD when using the balanced connection (unbalanced is better).
Thanks, I just ordered a short Fiio balanced 2.5 cable for the ES100 so will have to return it!

Fiio seem to be the only company to do a cheap 40cm cable?

Will also wait to hear your pairing impressions of the iSine20

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #49 of 54
Thanks, I just ordered a short Fiio balanced 2.5 cable for the ES100 so will have to return it!

Fiio seem to be the only company to do a cheap 40cm cable?

Will also wait to hear your pairing impressions of the iSine20
Nickel is unbalanced only. There is actually a signal degradation going balanced; use balanced only if you have radiated noise coupling into your cable. Unbalanced will have lower THD+N for a given level.

Also, Nickel includes a very short 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable with it, I wrap it around the stack one time (under the clip on the Radsone) and it is just the perfect length!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #50 of 54
What a great little power-house this is...
upload_2019-6-22_8-55-2.png

Jun 23, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #51 of 54
@DanWiggins,

I realise I more than likely have said this to you a few times already.

The Nickel is among the best portable amps I have used, especially as a truly portable amp, it pretty much goes with me everywhere though I may not always use it on the go. :p
But in my own listening space at a desk (not a console), it does get more use & pairs so well with everything. :)

By the way, I reall enjoyed your technical deep dive video you posted on the Ni, it is very informative though given I have followed the Ni development, it is not surprising.

Definitely great engineering on the Ni which I wholeheartedly support as well as portability !

Looking forward to the C when they arrive !

Keep up the great work !

Hope you have a great day !

Jul 17, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #52 of 54
Playing around w NI. The thing is freaking great! Smartphone > ZuperDAC-s > NI > R1 IEM. Crystal clear music and great dynamics courtesy of NI. Hiby Music app, volume maxed on the phone, hardware volume at 9/16 on ZuperDAC-s. Sound improvement is most noticeable in the lower registers. Dongle dacs provide anemic amount of power. This is where NI comes in. And oh my does it deliver... I dont have DFR anymore, otherwise i would try it with it. Very anxious to try Hidizs HD Sonata cable DAC now. Its tiny and simple and supposedly has a Cirrus Logic dac in it.
Tried some mp3s and YTube vids on R1 , PA Carbon and HD518s, crystal clear powerful audio. HD518s are a little harder to drive at 50 ohm, but NI has no problems whatsoever.
IMG_20001003_002910.jpg IMG_20001003_002837.jpg

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #53 of 54
Nickel is unbalanced only. There is actually a signal degradation going balanced; use balanced only if you have radiated noise coupling into your cable. Unbalanced will have lower THD+N for a given level.

Also, Nickel includes a very short 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable with it, I wrap it around the stack one time (under the clip on the Radsone) and it is just the perfect length!

Is that why Fiio uses A weighted for their balanced snr rating on BTR5 and not for unbalanced?
Just to confirm why.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #54 of 54
Is that why Fiio uses A weighted for their balanced snr rating on BTR5 and not for unbalanced?
Just to confirm why.
Could be - changing measurement methods is interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back