next upgrade amp recommendations
Apr 10, 2007 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

setasai

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I just recently bought both the HD580's and the Presonus central station to be used as both a dac for my imac optical out and headamp for the senns.

What would be my next logical upgrade? BTW, I use flacs. I would like to fit the PCS somewhere in the path most likely the dac.

I'm not unhappy with the results... i'm just greedy ^_^ I was thinking of an amp but I'm not quite sure what budget i'd have to spend to achieve something worth spending seeing as reviews have left the PCS headamp to be pretty decent. Thanks.

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 11
Tubes dude!

You want tubes.
600smile.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 11
lol what do you have in mind?

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by setasai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol what do you have in mind?

How much you got ?
580smile.gif

Well, there are a few nice options around $500 or less. I have only 10 minutes now before leaving for work but I'm sure others can hook you up.

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 11
I have a PCS as well. I did the test about 6 months ago, but back then I found the Presonus amps to rival the Ray Samuels SR-71. In other words, PCS amps compete with the better portables. The HR-2 (or XP-7) and GS-1 were very noticeable upgrades. I am currently selling both because I recently purchased a Corda Opera, which is another step forward. I don't have much experience with the amps in between (or tubes), but I think you would probably have to look in the $500-$1000 range to significantly improve.

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 11
hmmm well i only use flac files converted to alac so i can use my imac's remote.

What tube amps would be adequate... and relatively easy to replace (tubes)? I'm researching for probably another 2-3 months and then i'll most likely spend around 500-600 for a stand alone amp... i suppose if something significantly cooler comes around i'll wait a while and do a larger upgrade.

its just difficult to compare the PCS with other amps when all i've tried is the PCS and i dont even know how my setup compares to others to make a decision.

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by setasai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm well i only use flac files converted to alac so i can use my imac's remote.

What tube amps would be adequate... and relatively easy to replace (tubes)? I'm researching for probably another 2-3 months and then i'll most likely spend around 500-600 for a stand alone amp... i suppose if something significantly cooler comes around i'll wait a while and do a larger upgrade.

its just difficult to compare the PCS with other amps when all i've tried is the PCS and i dont even know how my setup compares to others to make a decision.

I can recommend the WooAudio 3 (and I guess the WA3+ and WA6) as great tube amps that pair well with Senns.

Tubes make the midrange so smoooooth and rich while extending/refining the bass and expanding soundstage.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 11
I know they pair well but would they be an adequate upgrade. I'm not really a fan of baby steps. Especially when these things get expensive.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can recommend the WooAudio 3 (and I guess the WA3+ and WA6) as great tube amps that pair well with Senns.

Tubes make the midrange so smoooooth and rich while extending/refining the bass and expanding soundstage.

x2 with the Woo/Senn combo. My WA6 goes well with 650's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back