Next step up from JMT Cmoys?
Jun 2, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #16 of 26
FWIW:

I recently swapped out the OPA2132's in my JMT built CHA47 to the AD8610's on BrownDog adaptors. Also swapped the 220uf caps to low esr Panasonic HFS 330uf with PP film by-passes. Big difference in clarity, bass definition, low level detail and a much smooter overall presentation. A worthwhile mod.

I totallly agree with eric343, the META42 has the makings of being a real giant killer. Can't wait.

Jun 2, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #17 of 26
Argh... Just because I built a CMOY into an altoids tin doesn't make it any less a CMOY, does it?

Vert, what circuitry is inside that Altoids tin? I find that people calling an amp by its enclosure to be very confusing...

Jun 2, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #18 of 26
Puppy: Have you considered getting some Elna Cerafines from Erix? They make a *BIG* difference.

However, they're also a bit bigger than standard, and you need to have the Hansen board in a Serpac case to use them- they don't fit easily into the PacTec.

Jun 2, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #19 of 26
Hi eric343,

I was barely able to get the Panasonic's into the Altoid box as it was. The Elna Cerafines would have been great but...
frown.gif

When I put the META42 together, I will definately give erix a PM.

Thanks.

Jun 2, 2002 at 9:59 AM Post #21 of 26
fiddler, it's a CHA47.

Jun 2, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

I was barely able to get the Panasonic's into the Altoid box as it was. The Elna Cerafines would have been great but...

The Elnas are HUGE! Getting them to fit in a tin would be tough unless you bent the leads and lay them flat. Then you still need to make room for the board, switches, jacks, and battery.

Jun 2, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
FWIW:

I recently swapped out the OPA2132's in my JMT built CHA47 to the AD8610's on BrownDog adaptors. Also swapped the 220uf caps to low esr Panasonic HFS 330uf with PP film by-passes. Big difference in clarity, bass definition, low level detail and a much smooter overall presentation. A worthwhile mod.

I totallly agree with eric343, the META42 has the makings of being a real giant killer. Can't wait.

What is the cost of the AD8610's? Would they fit into a CHA-47 built into a pengun tin? Is it diffucult is it to swap op-amps? Thanks for any help on this matter!

Jun 2, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #24 of 26
Guru- The AD8610s are surface mount single opamps, which need to be mounted on the relevant BrownDog adapter before they can be used in a Hansen board/CHA47.

Jun 3, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #25 of 26
Hi The Quality Guru,

The AD8610 are available from Analog Devices. They cost abot $6 plus shipping. (if I recall correctly.) I assume the Penquin box is the same size as a Altoid box, so it should fit. I mounted the AD8610's on the BrownDog adaptors and into IC sockets on the Hansen board.

Jun 3, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #26 of 26
If you want to put ELNA Cerafines in the META42 board, the only ones Erix offers that will fit are the 220uF/25V ones. Since the main power caps are doubled, you use two on a side, for 440uF. Not bad at all, IMHO, especially since Cerafines are supposed to be "fast".

You might be able to get away with just a pair of the 470/25V ones Erix offers, by skipping every other cap pad. This will require a fairly small input capacitor (C1), though. You could either bridge across C1, or go with a metalized polyester here, to open up the space you'd need for those big Cerafines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back