next IEM to get after shure e4c?
Mar 14, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought SE530 sounded like a bass-boosted E4. But that extra bass took a liitle bit of detail away.

I agree with Suzieq on page one. I much prefered the E4 to SE420. With the exception of the SE530 I don't care for any of the SE series sound with Shues's newer drivers

Based on a short test compared to my E4s, I found the SE530s to have a lot more rolloff on the high end than the E4s (can't comment on SE310s). I've always been Jonesin' for a set of SE530s but after using E4s for 2 months and checking out a pair of 530s I preferred my E4s. It shocked me. It sounded like there was almost no detail in the highs and the extra kick wasn't worth the sacrifice (to me). The source was nothing special (unamped iPod - no EQ) in both cases.

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after using E4s for 2 months and checking out a pair of 530s I preferred my E4s. It shocked me. It sounded like there was almost no detail in the highs and the extra kick wasn't worth the sacrifice (to me)

I agree completely. I guess they have 2 very different sound signatures which appeal to different ears. I actually bought the E500s twice, yes twice - because the reviews were so positive I figured I must have missed something the first time round. But a few days after buying them again, I sold them as my first impressions were still valid. It obviously doesn't mean one is 'better' than the other - it's just down to listening preferences. As I listen to a lot of acoustic, I found the E4s a better choice for me.

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on a short test compared to my E4s, I found the SE530s to have a lot more rolloff on the high end than the E4s (can't comment on SE310s). I've always been Jonesin' for a set of SE530s but after using E4s for 2 months and checking out a pair of 530s I preferred my E4s. It shocked me. It sounded like there was almost no detail in the highs and the extra kick wasn't worth the sacrifice (to me). The source was nothing special (unamped iPod - no EQ) in both cases.

Same here with regards to the SE530's - sold them about two weeks after I got them. Even my UE Super.fi Pro (dual driver) sounded more natural, specially the high end. Now with my Triple.Fi 10's, I am even happier
smily_headphones1.gif

Will

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #19 of 22
Hmmm, I highly recommend the triple fi 10 since you mentioned that soundstage is of importance to you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back