[newbie] Which multimeter is better?
Aug 25, 2005 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

NuclearFusi0n

100+ Head-Fier
Which multimeter would be a better choice for a newbie starting out in the DIY world? Price is not a factor, a friend of a friend is getting me the employee discount price. I want something that I won't outgrow for a while.

or

Aug 25, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 5
Well, everyone has a favorite, I suppose. Mine is the Fluke 112. It has auto ranging and manual ranging. It also can handle AC and DC current (up to 20A) and measures frequency, too. YMMV. Once I got used to it I really liked it.

Fluke 112 @ Mouser

I don't think you'll need the PC interface, just stick with the meter's on-screen displays for a while. I'll bet the PC stuff is very cool, though.

Of the two you suggested, I'd choose the second simply because it appears to have more ranges to work with. And, I could be wrong, but as you move up in prices ranges for meters, you'll find tighter tolerances and likely better parts inside...hopefully!

Aug 25, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/new-diyer.html

Dang... I had never realized what chaos the Headwize server rotation played on your links until now, it's like every other one of them is busted.
frown.gif

Aug 25, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by NuclearFusi0n
Which multimeter would be a better choice for a newbie starting out in the DIY world? Price is not a factor, a friend of a friend is getting me the employee discount price. I want something that I won't outgrow for a while.

Start with something cheap then you can upgrade without hard feelings. You can have much use for a real simple DMM. First, state your needs and the needed precision of your measurements. I'll bet a 10 USD DMM will be quite enough as a start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back