newbie in the audio system. needs help and suggestions
Jan 28, 2009 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

soundfirst111

New Head-Fier
hey, I don't know much about these things, but ever since I got my first portable headphones, I felt the urge to know more about those little but powerful things.

so, how do I pick my headphones?

thanks
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundfirst111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey, I don't know much about these things, but ever since I got my first portable headphones, I felt the urge to know more about those little but powerful things.

so, how do I pick my headphones?

thanks
biggrin.gif

What kind of music do you listen to? What's your budget?

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 6
I listen to all kinds of music, jazz, rock , hip-hop, electronica. But most of the songs I listen are bass-oriented, so it might be a good idea to buy something with powerful bass...My budget is around 80 bucks anyway. why'd you ask?

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundfirst111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to all kinds of music, jazz, rock , hip-hop, electronica. But most of the songs I listen are bass-oriented, so it might be a good idea to buy something with powerful bass...My budget is around 80 bucks anyway. why'd you ask?

start with RE2, he asked to help narrow down choices.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 6
There are many criteria to consider with earphones, so you could start with deciding if want/need any sound isolation, or do you need to hear outside sounds? This will determine if you want a true IEM phone that goes into the ear canal and creates a sound seal (like Shure, etc), or if you want more of an earbud style that just sits in the outer fold of the ear (like Yuin PK3), or maybe even over-the-ear (like Sennheiser PX-100).

There are lots of good options below $75. Senn PX-100, Yuin PK3, NuForce NE-7M, Denon C551, even several of the Sony MDR earbuds are decent if you don't need 100% accuracy.

As the saying goes around here, have fun looking and sorry about your wallet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back