newbie headphone selection advice, stanton
Apr 4, 2009 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

defrag010

New Head-Fier
I used to be big into car audio (competed in usaci outlaw spl and iasca sq) and went to college to become a recording studio engineer, but I got burnt out big time and realized that sound/music is just a hobby.
I thought I had it all figured out until a friend gave me a pair of Stanton DJ pro 60 headphones to listen to music on and I just fell in love. I wore them out, and knowing nothing at all about headphones, I just found a similarly priced Stanton headphones (DJ pro 50 S) and have been using them ever since.

I'm looking for an upgrade, though, because these DJ pro 50 S's don't really have much low end response. I liked the low end of the DJ pro 60's but anything above about 5000hz didn't sound real well.

I don't even know where to begin to look for some new headphones. I want to start out with a better entry level headphone than the stantons that I've been using. I have read some, and have seen people praise the Sony MDR-V6 for music listeing. I looked into some sennheiser stuff since I'm familiar with their presence in pro sound, but all of the reviews I read of their entry level stuff isn't very good. The sony V6 headphones are going for about 80 bucks shipped new on ebay right now, and that's about what my price range is. Will V6's outperform the stanton headphones I've used so far?

99% of my music listening is from cd rips that are on my laptop and desktop. I like to just be able to plug the phones in and listen without a headphone amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back