Newbe's dumb question
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #16 of 22
I also just want to point out that the HD650 is a headphone that really scales well. You should not skimp on the amp if at all possible. It will really sing with the right amp. If you are a DIY'er, the Bottlehead Crack sounds about as good as anything I have heard with a 650. FWIW.

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #17 of 22
Yep, them HD650 like voltage to drive their 300 Ohm impedance.:ksc75smile:
They also like a balanced output. .... :L3000:

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #18 of 22
I think a lot of newbies may not hear a difference with an amp added since their ears are not accustomed.

I remember there was a guy who posted that he was mad that he bought an amp and thought all this extra gear was B.S.

If an amp - to your ears made little or no difference to you, return it and save your money and enjoy a nice lobster dinner.

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #20 of 22
I think a lot of newbies may not hear a difference with an amp added since their ears are not accustomed.

I remember there was a guy who posted that he was mad that he bought an amp and thought all this extra gear was B.S.

If an amp - to your ears made little or no difference to you, return it and save your money and enjoy a nice lobster dinner.

@Spareribs,

Great analogy, also great user name.

I rather spend money on decent food than most overpriced audio gear myself but that's just me.

Hope you have a great day !

Jul 28, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #21 of 22
I also want to point out that if you do get a nice amp and you notice the improved sound and you love it, it’s not necessary to upgrade.

There is no obligation or rule that you have to upgrade and spend even more money to buy another better amp.

Yes, you’ll probably get a better sound with an upgrade but there can be a danger of getting all hung up on the madness of audiophile obsession which can be a distraction to the music. Obsessive compulsion or some type of audiophile OCD can be a negative effect to music enjoyment.

So for most people out there in the real world: Buy something good. If you love it. Great- but there is no requirement that you have to go into this audiophile quest unless if you are interested in that route which is fine too. It’s like if you’re happy with a Toyota, it’s really all you need in life.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #22 of 22
I also want to point out that if you do get a nice amp and you notice the improved sound and you love it, it’s not necessary to upgrade.

There is no obligation or rule that you have to upgrade and spend even more money to buy another better amp.

Yes, you’ll probably get a better sound with an upgrade but there can be a danger of getting all hung up on the madness of audiophile obsession which can be a distraction to the music. Obsessive compulsion or some type of audiophile OCD can be a negative effect to music enjoyment.

So for most people out there in the real world: Buy something good. If you love it. Great- but there is no requirement that you have to go into this audiophile quest unless if you are interested in that route which is fine too. It’s like if you’re happy with a Toyota, it’s really all you need in life.

Well said, @Spareribs, well said...

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back