New to Quality Headphones. K550. A few questions: Source-side Clipping Damage. USB Audio Interface - Amp. Driver Popping. Oh...and Sweat.
Dec 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LunyAlex

New Head-Fier
Good Day Headgear Aficionados!

I have recently joined your ranks as I bask in the glory of my first >25$ pair of headphones.
Embrace me, brothers and sisters!

alright then...

I'll start off by saying that, coming from cheap headphones but decent monitor speakers, I find these to be quite fantastic. 
The bass is deep and doesn't overwhelm the mix. The mids and highs are packed with detail and fidelity and balance (well, except for a very slight harshness that I hope settles with burn-in but won't bum me out all that much if it doesn't). 

So I now find myself engulfed in a metric ton of quality, accompanied by a few questions:

1. I listen to a lot of metal. I know many metal producers like to keep it rough (and more recently... loud). I've always noticed distortion (clipping?) in a lot of metal albums (Slayer - God Hates Us All for a precise example). 

So I put this on and I hear a lot of clipping through the AKG K550s. It was there before, with previous Cheapo McCheaply Headphones, but now it's waaaay more up front (my previous headphones probably had recessed treble?). Meanwhile I put Linkin Park's Meteora on and it's perfectly clean.

I assume this clipping in some metal albums is normal (correct me if not), yet I would like to know if this kind of excessive Source-side clipping could possibly ever damage the gear? I don't usually listen to music at high volume, but it sounds quite harsh and grating. 

2. I connect these headphones to a Line 6 Pod Studio UX2. A USB Audio Interface which I heard has a decent DAC inside. Do these external audio interfaces lessen the need for a Headphone Amp, or are they completely different beasts with completely different roles? 

3. When I slide these on and attempt to get the right fit, if I press in on the headphones while on my head, I hear a little pop from within the driver. Like a plastic film re-adjusting to a difference in pressure. Is this normal? 

4. Sweat. My skin sweats a lot where the pads touch. When I take them off there's ...droplets that I have to wipe. 
Could this become a hazard for the gear? I don't really mind the sweat myself. 

Would really appreciate some input on these ...very novice-like questions.

Thank you in advance!

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 3
Welcome to Head-Fi!

Here are some answers to your questions.

1) Nope, there is no chance of hurting your gear. Your headphones are just revealing the harsh production more than you've noticed before. You may want to experiment with lowering the treble using EQ software if the sound is fatiguing to your ears. 

2) I'm not familiar with that exact product, but if it connects to your computer via USB and you plug your headphones into it then it already has both a DAC and an amp inside it. There is no need for an additional amp if you are happy with the current maximum volume level. 

3) Purely IMO: I don't know what could cause that but I wouldn't worry about it as long as you don't notice any buzzing or distortion from that side during songs that should sound very clean. 

4) Not a big hazard. The pads might get stinky long term but you probably won't ever notice unless you smell them directly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back