New to IEM's and looking for the next step up.... from EW200/Zero Red...
Jan 6, 2024 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

flightlessbird

New Head-Fier
Hi Folks

I've only recently discovered the wonderful world of ChiFi IEMs. I started with the 7hz Salnotes Zero, which I loved the clarity of (for the money) and treble presentation. I ordered the Zero Red and the EW200 as next steps.

To be honest, I've found the Zero Red a bit of disappointment. It's competent but not much fun and to me just sounds a bit boring. I really like the EW200. Compared to the Red, it's got lots more base, it sounds more spacious and has a bit more life to it. It's not perfect obviously, the treble can get a bit rough but it's fun to listen to.

I want to try some different cables but I'm also wondering about taking the next step up in quality to around $100. Could push the budget a bit higher but not to $200. The EA1000 sounds interesting but it's out of my budget and I'm sensitive to treble - so worried about that one.

Have consider Kiwi Ears Melody, EA500LM (when it's out) and the Hidiz MP145 or NickHck F1 Pro but am basically just confused about where to go next.

Any thoughts appreciated from more experienced listeners.

Thanks!
FLB

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi Folks

I've only recently discovered the wonderful world of ChiFi IEMs. I started with the 7hz Salnotes Zero, which I loved the clarity of (for the money) and treble presentation. I ordered the Zero Red and the EW200 as next steps.

To be honest, I've found the Zero Red a bit of disappointment. It's competent but not much fun and to me just sounds a bit boring. I really like the EW200. Compared to the Red, it's got lots more base, it sounds more spacious and has a bit more life to it. It's not perfect obviously, the treble can get a bit rough but it's fun to listen to.

I want to try some different cables but I'm also wondering about taking the next step up in quality to around $100. Could push the budget a bit higher but not to $200. The EA1000 sounds interesting but it's out of my budget and I'm sensitive to treble - so worried about that one.

Have consider Kiwi Ears Melody, EA500LM (when it's out) and the Hidiz MP145 or NickHck F1 Pro but am basically just confused about where to go next.

Any thoughts appreciated from more experienced listeners.

Thanks!
FLB

From the EW200 -> EA1000, the house sound is similar, and the EA1000 is a bit more refined and has improved technicalities. But we are talking huge diminishing returns, so the EA1000 is 5x more expensive but not even 2 - 3 x better.

So once you try dabbling in the midFI price range, do keep your expectations in check and diminishing returns are the name of the game here.

If you liked the EA200, the upgrade path for the same sound would be the EA1000. The MP145 is a bit tamer in the treble, but has a wider soundstage, though it is perhaps not as microdetailed. The MP145 has very huge shells though, so perhaps some with smaller ears might have an issue, but otherwise it is one of the better planar IEMs of 2023.

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks @baskingshark, I appreciate the reply. Good point about the MP145, I don't have the largest ears and find the Salnotes Zero a bit on the large side - so perhaps the MP145 isn't an ideal next step. The F1 Pro is a bit cheaper and smaller I think (as is the Melody). Curious to see what the EA500LM is like too.

Good point on diminishing returns too - I like the EW200's a lot and will happily continue to listen to them the most of my current collection (and the Zero Red).

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 6
my approach to audio is a bit different. I got for the best value among different audio tech and try EQing and see how I enjoy the sound.

I have the Shure which is a dynamic IEM but it’s rather analytical and great for mixing but I’m not a professional. Now I got a kiwi melody, planar IEM. At only 89 bucks it’s great. While it is just a bit muddier than my Shure, it’s much more enjoyable for long term listening with very good bass. The EQing on the Melody really makes it shine.

You will need a good amp and dac though. May as well save money for those than chase for better IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back