New speaker setup for < $300
Apr 22, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #46 of 46
College-student Audioengine A5 owner here giving his two cents...

Loudness - It is excellent. It will fill a medium sized room at loud levels with no problems, especially if placed high enough. I wouldn't let them operate during packed rowdy parties as they have no grill and definitely are way more precious than a PA speaker set if something happens.

Bass - I find it anemic. There is no low bass. Sure these are great for classical, acoustic and most genres, but when it's electronica, rap or rock you will have to get a sub. I'm getting a strong musical sub to fix this.

Sound - After the initial horrible experience called break-in they start sounding good. They're very neutral and smooth but they are not quite airy, the high highs feel rolled off. Coming from fun headphones the neutrality took a little bit getting used to but once that's out of the way you can appreciate its clear non-fatiguing sound. You can always play with a software EQ when the occasion calls for it.

Overall this is my college-student recommendation: If they can fit these on your desk but you don't have the space to deal with larger bookshelves + amp then get this. And pair it with a sub soon. Yes it will probably cost $400+ or $500+ for a strong musical sub but the sound quality is worth it. For the money, find the best job you can get that also looks good on the resume and you're killing three birds with one stone, as you'll probably have money left over for other things.

If space isn't an issue look into getting good floorstanders/bookshelfs + amp somewhere.

If space and money are both issues, look into computer speakers at the price range you're at. They tend to be decent for their price, but few would say they're at 'audio enthusiast' quality levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back