New Speaker Question
Oct 4, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
I'm telling you, I did it both ways, and it was significantly louder when they were wired out-of-phase.

Zoomie, please try it both ways and report back.

Maybe my noise generator has its phased reversed in one channel, but I highly doubt it.

Really? Are you sure the cables or the jacks were wired correctly?...And did you place one against each other?
Mine was considerable lower that way....or maybe mine (generator) was reversed on purpose, but according to what I was told also, is weird it should be lower....

Oct 4, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Really? Are you sure the cables or the jacks were wired correctly?...And did you place one against each other?
Mine was considerable lower that way....or maybe mine (generator) was reversed on purpose, but according to what I was told also, is weird it should be lower....

There is a small chance that the source itself (an old DAK [do you remember them? They were like the Amway of electronics mail order; the guy, Drew A. Kaplan, I think his name was, got in some sort of trouble over a radar detector] EQ/spectrum analyzer, had a noise source built in) was wired backwards, but I got everything else after that right, I'm sure. And yes, I pointed them at each other, and threw a blanket over them, and still couldn't get to sleep.

Oct 4, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #19 of 21
OK, I tried it in both configurations, and without a doubt, the test is much quieter once you switch the phase on one of the speakers. I posted the link of the site that I downloaded the little app from so others can try as well. Although, it is still pretty annoying even in 'quiet mode'.

http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/

Thanks for all the help.

Mark

Oct 5, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #20 of 21
6393.18Hz is wicked on my system, it's really painful, and you can hear my sub still churning at about 19Hz, though you can barely hear it...the lowest "setting" I've got it to still move on is 7.42Hz, there's no sound (duh), but it moves, you can see it (barely), it's funny...and a little higher, and it just moves back and forth happily
biggrin.gif

That thing's sweeps can get downright painful, OW
basshead.gif
geeze

Oct 5, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Zoomie
OK, I tried it in both configurations, and without a doubt, the test is much quieter once you switch the phase on one of the speakers. I posted the link of the site that I downloaded the little app from so others can try as well. Although, it is still pretty annoying even in 'quiet mode'.

http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/

Thanks for all the help.

Mark

Pink noise is always annoying, that is why some members suggested you to try other tests first, this is the optimal according, white noise could work also, to what I was told, but I prefer any other, my favorite is to play really crappy recordings at the beginning for a few days, you know, you always has a Hendrix live recording around, or any other old stuff, and later on the best recordings, there is no way of enjoying a good recording on a new speaker....I can't at least....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back