New Rig Help
Sep 24, 2010 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Madgravity34

100+ Head-Fier
So, I have been into music for a long time but never had the resources to invest in anything major. At the moment I still dont ;p but I want to invest in something that well start me off. I need some help picking which route and finding new suggestions as to what to start with. As of now this is what I own/ordered and what ideas I have in my head.

Own:
1. Ipod classic 120gb
2. Ordered Klipsch Custom-3s (awesome deal for $99 + shipping)
3. klipsch Image s4
4. V-moda Vibes
5. JVC FX-33
6. Xtra X-1 (all opamps removed and bypassed)
7. ALO Custom LOD (4 solid silver cables)

Plan: I dont want to spend a thousand dollars, but I want to get the most for my money.

Idea 1: Buy 5.5G Ipod and DIYmod it + new LOD (with caps) + Arrow 12HE

Idea 2: Buy Cowon J3 and say screw it to an amp at all

Idea 3: Buy cowon J3 + Arrow12HE and say screw it to saving money

Now my questions are, which one is the best value? I feel like idea 1 would give me the best sound quality, but I am unsure of how much the Klipsch s3's will really benefit from amping. From using the xtra x-1's with any of the headphones I own, I've only noticed the improvements that would be associated with using my ipod's line out, namely better extension, tighter bass, and a slightly wider soundstage. Removing the opamps from my xtra essentially made it less bloated sounding as it was a cheap amp at the time and it used a faily low-end chip.

In summary my concerns are:

1. How much does amping affect the Klipsch custom 3's
2. What portable amp would sound the best at the $300 price range or is it overkill and I should skip it or go with an e7 or ibasso t3 etc
3. How much better does a cowon j3 sound than a ipod classic via the headphone out?
4. Is it worth amping the j3 since there is no lineout?
5. What other possibilities do you think there are that may work out better?

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back