NEW PLAYER PURCHASE SUGGESTIONS?
Feb 14, 2021 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

slide4417

New Head-Fier
I have a Pioneer XDP-300R music player that I purchased in August of 2018. I love it, but it is Android 5.1.1, and I guess just like old iPods, it won't update! What are they at now, 10. something??
It has aptX, but not that Sony hi-res bluetooth format (forgot the 4 letters). It will still play Qobuz, but I'm just thinking that as technology flies, this is now a dinosaur.
Anything out now that is at least a year from the cutting edge, or worth busting my wallet open for? What are the current "gotta have's" ?
Thanks for your thoughts!!

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 11
Or even Hiby R5. I thought it was a great, small, mid range price DAP with decent battery.

I'm perfectly happy with my Sony ZX507 but battery life can be limiting.

You'd get far better advice if you specify a max price.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 11
I ended up between the Hiby R6 and the Lotoo PAW 6000. Got the Hiby for local streaming and Qobuz capabilities etc. Still don't know which sounds better as i haven't listened to this particular Lotoo but I'm very happy with the results I can get from the Hiby due to versatility and player options etc. For me, anything heavier/larger than these were out for portability reasons.

Feb 14, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 11
Hiby R6 2020 ticks all your boxes while actually portable and affordable. Worth a look.
I concur with this. In fact, although I don’t really need another DAP, I just ordered one to have in my collection because it does tick a lot of boxes. The R6 2020 is very versatile for the foreseeable future. If I was looking for my first DAP, or first replacement, this would be it.

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 11
I have a Pioneer XDP-300R music player that I purchased in August of 2018. I love it, but it is Android 5.1.1, and I guess just like old iPods, it won't update! What are they at now, 10. something??
It has aptX, but not that Sony hi-res bluetooth format (forgot the 4 letters). It will still play Qobuz, but I'm just thinking that as technology flies, this is now a dinosaur.
Anything out now that is at least a year from the cutting edge, or worth busting my wallet open for? What are the current "gotta have's" ?
Thanks for your thoughts!!

Old ipods play music as well as before - why would you want to update them?

If the Pioneer works well, why buy a new one? After just over 2 (!) years? AptX-HD is as good as LDAC. Do your cans even support LDAC?

Of course, it's your money, and the manufacturers will thank you.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #8 of 11
I mean, if you are happy, why change?

Feb 9, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #9 of 11
Old ipods play music as well as before - why would you want to update them?

If the Pioneer works well, why buy a new one? After just over 2 (!) years? AptX-HD is as good as LDAC. Do your cans even support LDAC?

Of course, it's your money, and the manufacturers will thank you.
You can no longer install TIDAL on it for one thing!

Feb 9, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back