New member with Xonar DS optical output issues
Dec 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Voidrunner

Head-Fier
I would have started a thread asking about this in the Computer Audio forum, but apparently I don't have permission to start new threads there yet? 

Anyway, I have an Asus Xonar DS that I'm hooking up to an external DAC via the optical output. Now, this is a soundcard that I've used for a couple of years at least, with no major issues. Running the Unified Xonar drivers, and in general, it's been excellent. The DAC and optical output is a recent change and it has been rough. 
Numerous BSODs, all seemingly driver-related (things like irq_less_than_equal etc). Gone through several driver iterations, cleaning up the old driver in between installs, all to no avail. It seems fairly random. This is also apparently a known issue with the Xonar cards, but I have yet to see an actual solution, just what seems to be sub-optimal hacks and work-arounds that might work, but nothing concrete. 
So... The question really is, what's the trick? What combination of settings might stop this? Is it really this hard to use the optical out on the Xonar cards? Would I be better off with another card entirely? 

System specs:

Intel i5 3.2ghz
12gb ram
Radeon HD7770
Asus Xonar DS
MSI Z77-G43 motherboard
Win 7 64-bit
Playback software is typically Foobar2000. 
DAC/headphone amp is a JAVS DAC-2 March

Users who are viewing this thread

Back