'New Look' Grado RS1's
Sep 17, 2002 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
rs1new.jpg

Smitten as I am with my RS1's and what they do for rock music, and since I have a second pair to keep stock, I decided to play with and personalize the pair I use for home listening. Fans of the RS1 will instantly see what I have changed.

But know that this is a potentially dangerous mod to attempt, and for that reason I dont suggest anyone try it. The parts involved could get ruined in the process. I was lucky.

Sep 17, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 11
I have only two things to say to what you've done:

1) You're crazy!
2) Those RS-1's are sweet looking; it looks like the metal circles were painted with great precision- and the color looks really cool too. Definetely not as subtle as the black, though!

You could start a modification business, modding people's RS-1's!
Or not.

When I eventually get my RS-1's, I would never be crazy enough to try that mod for the fear of painting the wood silver accidently. Which brings me to my next question, how exactly did you go aout doing that? Did you use masking tape to protect that which you did not want painted?

Sep 17, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 11
rs1newb.jpg

Its not paint, but thank you all the same. Thats bare aluminum you are looking at. FYI: I would never paint them.. that could look cheesy in the end. But the ultra clean look of bare aluminum is expensive and technical looking in a way that the black all by itself isnt. As nice as the RS1 looks in black I think a touch of aluminum makes more of a statement, and for the better.

Sep 17, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 11
They do look nice. When I first saw the picture, I thought you had stained the chambers, too -- they look very red in the first picture. So what'd you use to strip the paint?

Now you just need to get something to replace the black plastic height adjustment pieces.

kerelybonto

Sep 17, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 11
If the aluminum parts can be removed they could be anodized in some very nice colors or even clear? And they won't oxidize or otherwise stain afterwards.

Your continuing posts about the RS1's are raising my interest in hearing the Headphones.

Keep posting it's good to hear your enthusiasm.

Sep 18, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 11
Sweet. Very clean looking.
biggrin.gif

Keep up the good customizing.

Sep 18, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 11
It looks like you swiped the black stock rings and replaced them with the aluminum rings from a pair of HP-2's. Do you have a pair of de-frocked HP-2's lying around somewhere?

Sep 18, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 11
Sweet! Those are awesome looking! I wanna do it, I wanna do it!

I have taken off the RS-1 logos and scraped some of the paint off the fence, so it has a cool blackened silver look to it.

Sep 18, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 11
Nice pictures as usual.
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the look of them too.

Biggie.

Sep 18, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 11
Heres a little known Grado RS1 assembly fact:

The gimbal rings hold the enclosures by way of two screws/pins. There are threads on the ring itself but no threads in the enclosure; in other words the enclosure is connected to the gimbal ring by a simple 'dowel pin fit' on the enclosure itself, and the pin is threaded into the ring. Make sense?

The threads have glue put on them, but heres something VERY important for would-be modders: on each pair of pins that hold the enclosure in place, only the right hand one is meant to be taken off. The left one is more permanently glued. So for each pair of pins that hold a single enclosure in place, only the right side one is meant to come off.
All you need is for one pin to come off to remove the enclosure from the gimbal ring (the earpads come off beforehand.)

I already mentioned how to get the speakers out but that process is very very risky. I strongly advise against trying it. And
I dont suggest messing with the pins and the gimbal rings either, but hey, if you are crazy enough to try you might as well be at least a little informed of how to do it.

PM me if you have an RS1 and intend to try and mod it. Again, I dont suggest it, but I might help keep you from busting something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back