New guy, first thread. Recommendations?
Jul 1, 2020 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AdamOzzy

New Head-Fier
Hello all! I'm Adam and I recently stumbled across this site after I began researching higher-end headphone options about a week ago, so I'm pretty new to the whole thing not just this forum. I've been a music lover forever and started collecting vinyl a few years back and love it, however due to traveling a lot for work I'm not home to listen as often as I like and my wireless earbuds I bought for working out just aren't cutting it any more for use outside of that purpose.

I primarily listen to extreme metal of multiple genres including death/black/doom/slam along with folk, bluegrass and traditional country. Bands like Death, Horrendous, Power Trip, Skeletonwitch, Morbid Angel, Agalloch and Possession have been my go to's the past couple months but I'm always finding new stuff. Then I also love Dylan, Prine, Kris Kristofferson, Sturgill Simpson, Jason Isbell, Billy strings and Roy Lee Centers amongst many others similar.

With that being said, does anyone have a recommendation for my first real set of headphones that might be able to cover these styles of music? I'd like to keep it around 500 with a little wiggle room for a set. Also, unfortunately since I travel by plane often I imagine I'll need a closed back for the first ones but I'll look into any recommendations coming my way.

Thanks for any help and I'm looking forward to becoming part of this community!

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 3
Even closed backs don’t do that well on planes for me other than ANC ones but I haven’t tried a lot on a plane other than my Sony WH 1000 XM3’s which are fantastic in the noise canceling department but not so great but not horrible. If I were wanting to listen to music then I would use some in ears as some do a really good job and blocking some of the noise.

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 3
Welcome to the forums, I feel bad for your future wallet, but I feel hopeful/happy for your progression of the journey.

At $500, for desktop consider $99 schitt dac and $99 schitt amp and used HD600 perhaps.

Or consider an IEM in the $500 range without any dac/amp as IEM's perform decently well without them.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back