New "EMM KILLER" Playback Designs DAC
Sep 14, 2008 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
playback designs mps5

So who's going to be the first to try it? $15K MSRP, but currently at $10K "introductory price" and outperforms $25K EMM SE stack?

I, for one, am disturbed by the absolute lack of any specific information about what's inside the unit, but that's just me..

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 8
There are some reviews on Audiogon of the unit. I believe it uses a Xilinx FPGA for digital to analog conversions and designed by a former EMM Labs engineer.

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 8
The intro price is only $10K.
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by blubliss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The intro price is only $10K.
wink.gif

I guess that is cheap if you compare to the likes of EMM SE stack, DCS SACD combo, APL NWO, etc. I have my usual healthy dose of doubts, which I bestow upon all the buzz-of-the-month wonder products that magically realign the universe, etc.

But I keep hoping such miracles are possible, mainly because I don't want to pay for those other even more expensive devices.

Give it a couple of years until a couple of newer "miracle" players show up, and one can always pick up these things used..

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 8
Sep 14, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 8
IMHO - that EMM transport is just so so. My NWO connected digitally is actually better - and that's w/out the proprietary connections the EMM has as an advantage (or so it seems).

Neil

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 8
i'm sure its fantastic. i got a used CDSA SE that im perfectly happy with. of course used is the way to go for electronics, especially cd players

Users who are viewing this thread

Back