New E.Sound E5-m - Unit is Humming
Dec 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

objected

New Head-Fier
Hello from a forum Newbie.

I have been following several of the threads - mainly regarding the E5 and thanks to the wise advice and support given from DRArthurWells to Forum members I finally plumped for the new E5-m safe in teh knowledge that it was a wise investment.

Looks glorious, but last night (and I haven't yet hooked it up to my amp and speaker) it started humming quite audibly. It was a mains hum by the sounds of it. I haven't emailed Cattylink yet (so far Snowy has been brilliant with any minor issue and advice too so no concerns there) but before I go there I wanted to ask if any E5 owners (all versions) have experienced this? Also, does anyone know how to take the lid of the E5-m? It sounds like it only needs some deadening material for the alu lid. A strategically placed hand reduces the sound a lot.

OR - could it be the mains condition or something like that (it was running of a basic 4 way mains block)?

Any insight or advice is very gratefully received.

Mark

Of course - this could be normal and also due to the mains condition as I just realised the temporary position it is in is connected to a mains extension which is connected to another mains extension and PC's and External Hard Drives and a multitude of transformers are plugged into it. 2 of them are 2 inches from the unit. When I first powered it up it was on its own mains outlet. I am very sensitive to noise (if you didn't guess that)! It is also inches away from my TFT and PC but the hum is when these are switched off.

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 3
I have put this in the wrong Forum I guess?

I put a review of this little beauty at the end of another E5-m thread. Love it... Hum not too bad really - sounds magnificent.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 3
Okay - just so people are not put off the machine itself - I will post a detailed review of it soon. It is truly magnificent (and I have had the pleasure of listening to many high-end pieces of equipment in the past) and Snowy at Cattylink is a real gentleman and inspires confidence in the long term relationship with the company.

It is a wonderous player of CD's!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back