New DAC
Sep 13, 2008 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

maclrc

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

Current system is (source to headphones):

FLAC lossless files on QNAP NAS>Squeezebox Duet Music Server>Sugden Masterclass CDP (DAC only obviously)>Darkvoice 336 SE headphone amp>recabled HD650 cans

As I have now removed CDs from my set-up it makes sense to swap the Sugden CDP for a DAC so I'm looking for some good suggestions. I can probably sell the Sugden for circa £1250 so am looking to spend that amount or less on a DAC (preferably used to maximise value for money).

I've just picked up a Chord DAC 64 to demo (£2400 new) to give me a reasonable benchmark for comparison with the Sugden.

Research suggests I could get a 2nd hand Chord DAC64 for £850-£1250

Music tastes are broad, but generally rock and vocal based and I like a warm presentation.

I want to focus on used kit in as you can essentially save 50% on the price.

What is vital is that the DAC sounds as good or better than the one in the Sugden. I've put this in the high-end forum, because as far as I am concerned the DACs I'll be looking at will fall into this category (even if prices are for 2nd hand).

I've ruled out the Benchmark and Lavry DACs simply because IMHO they are hideous and I like products to look nice when you are spending this sort of cash on it; petty I know...

All recommendations and advice much appreciated

Thanks all

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 6
^ Yeah, the Electrocompaniet ECD1 is a killer DAC.
Very well built, great sounding, and quite nicely priced (at least in Norway).

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 6
I heard a Chord DAC/transport combination and an Electrocompaniet EMC-1 UP CD player (from which the ECD-1 DAC is based) in the same system a few months ago. This was at a dealer, and the system was unfamiliar to me, but I preferred the sound of the Electrocompaniet. The music just sounded more "alive" through the Electrocompaniet.

In my own system, I like the ECD-1 quite a bit. This DAC emphasizes the bass, which makes rock sound great. It has a warm sound overall, though the noise floor isn't quite as low as some other DACs. It has great flexibility, offering Toslink, coaxial, and AES/EBU inputs (though the AES/EBU sounds the best) and balanced and single-ended outputs. I actually preferred the sound of my Wadia 581i SE running through the ECD-1 over the Wadia on its own:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/dac...s-fray-355817/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back