New Cans! Same Amp Questions.. and More!
Nov 22, 2005 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

replytoken

500+ Head-Fier
My HD600's arrived today and they are now burning in.
600smile.gif
I decided to spring for them because as much as I like my Ety Er-4's, I wanted something open and comfortable to use around the house. I originally thought that I could also spring for a tube amp to use with the 600's and all might bring me headphone bliss similar to my Jolida 302B / Rega Jura set-up. In the meantime, I dragged out my last generation Airhead and current Total Airhead to revisit thier sounds (and allow me some portability with the 600's). I realize the 600's have very little time on them, but both Headroom amps left me feeling just like I did when I originally purchased the Total Airhead - searching for a noticeable difference. I can accept minimal differences between the two models, but I am concerned about upgrading to a new amp for fear of this happening again.

I thought an EddieCurrent, Mapletree, or HR Millett Hybrid would be a nice mate to the 600's, but am now looking at a HR Micro w/DM partly for mobility, partly for cost and value. I know my listening abilities are not that bad, as I immediately fell in love with the Jolida when I was actually looking for a new CDP. I do know that my decisions are driven by good value, as defined by improvements in sound relative to their cost (thus explaining why I bought the Jolida rather than a new home CDP, and why I also bought the the Juras instead of a new CDP before the Jolida).

Any thoughts? Should I hold where I am currently, consider the Micro w/DM for value, or go for the tubes? My concern about the Micro is that I will not hear the improvements. My concern about going all way (tubes) is cost, and possibly not hearing the difference.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the portable source is a Panasonic SL-CT470 (Blue) with a line out. I would consider replacing this, but it seems to hold its own against my home rig, and I fear that I would have to spend a fortune to hear a noticeable difference. Enough already, my wallet and a large dose of guilt are starting to hate me in my quest for a little bit more happiness! Perhaps I could put the Jolida and the Juras in the wash and shrink them, it always works on my jeans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back