New ASL Twin Head
Apr 24, 2002 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

msjjr

100+ Head-Fier
Just spoke with the distributor about this. It's supposedly fabulous, even better than the RKV that I was originally researching. Apparently a superb preamp as well. Uses the
2A3 triodes, OTL/transformer outputs, dual mono, tube rectified P/S.

Apr 24, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Better than the RKV? And it should be able to drive low-impedence headphones well? must... restrain... from using... credit card...

Was the distributor any more specific, like in what ways it was supposedly better? Or general sound characteristics? Also, is it available for order?

Apr 24, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 9
It will apparently be available in "a couple of weeks". He is working with the manufacturer and has suggested a change to some element of the power supply to further improve the sonics. This was important for low impedance headphones so I guess the answer is yes, it does drive low impedance headphones well. I didn't ask him about the specifics, but I could always call him back. (We chatted for 20 minutes and ended up talking about the 3A Reference speakers he builds and the iminent release of a re-designed line.) We had agreed to a price earlier on the RKV, but when I brought up the Twin Head and asked about it's quality, he explained that the design of the Twin Head is far superior (again the details now elude my recollection). He then said "Im sorry to do this to you, but the Twin Head is really much better." I don't think it was a sales job because he went on to credit the MG Head OTL as being a better price/performance deal for most headphone enthusiasts and stressed that the Twin Head was much more expensive (?$1250US). It's always been a dream of mine to get "Twin Head" and now I just might without losing the wife and kids!!!
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 9
Just saw the picture of the ASL Twin Head. And now my keyboard is covered in drool.

Surely with 2A3 drivers it would handle AKG1000?

But I have my heart set on a pair of Welborne Laurel or Bottlehead Parabees... SET 300B.

Apr 24, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by msjjr
It's always been a dream of mine to get "Twin Head" and now I just might without losing the wife and kids!!!
wink.gif

oh man...that was sooooo bad

Apr 24, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 9
This must be reviewed post-haste. I am very curious about this one. Despite my being Head-Fi's "designated spender" or whatever Kelly called me, I've just got to wait on the reviews on this one.

My "Ultimate Melos" is pretty friggin' awesome. The Twin Head would be in for the fight of it's life!

markl

Apr 25, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Surely with 2A3 drivers it would handle AKG1000?

Joe Lau said that the Twin Head puts out a watt at 8 ohms. that's good, but not enough for the K1000. A watt at 120 ohms would be much better, but that's a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back