NEW ALO Gear
Jul 12, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #16 of 26
A low profile dock like:

touchrig.jpg

I think that'd be sick to see an ALO product (all the various wires used) in a lo-pro dock.

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A low profile dock like:

touchrig.jpg

I think that'd be sick to see an ALO product (all the various wires used) in a lo-pro dock.

Hey Nate,

The new iPhones are all sold with ipod connectors that have a tab-less lock-less connector. The connectors we all use now have a latch that when inserted lock into the ipod. The ones I am sourcing are like the iphones and do not require you to push 2 tabs in to unlatch. You simple pull it out of the iPhone. You have to have sufficient pressure to pull it out though. Once I get these I can have a ultra low profile connector made. I know where to get them so hold on a while and let me place an order.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 13, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #19 of 26
That's a touch, not an iPhone (for some reason, people always think that), but I know what you're saying about the tabs.

If you look here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/how...-cable-316475/

You'll see due to the nature of the design, the little locking tabs are taken out. I'm not quite sure how Punnisher makes it tight fitting inside of the slot, but it's a tight fit and stays in just fine. It's also just pulls out. Also, due to the fact it doesn't get bumped or anything, also attributes to it staying in better than a typical LOD.

Let me know what you come up with, I'm still interested in a cable from ya (never heard back from ya, and I needed a cable quick!)!!!!

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a touch, not an iPhone

Yeah I was not referring to your rig in my example.

Quote:

Let me know what you come up with, I'm still interested in a cable from ya (never heard back from ya, and I needed a cable quick!)!!!!

Oh sorry I was not sure if you want me to give it a whoorl.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaxMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken, you think you will ever offer a Sennheiser silver in cotton headphone cable? Don't think it could get any better than that! Thank you for your supreme products! You truly deserve the coveted title of - CABLEGOD!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey WaxMan,

First thanks.

I have kind of reserved using solid silver wires in Cotton (for headphone cables) for silly extreme situations. Its not something that I want to do more than once a year. Also its not very durable/ delicate and require extra care. You have to use many small strands of silver to make up one conductor and its pretty difficult to get them in the cotton (silk) tube. I did make a pair of these for my K1000s but I would probably not do it again.

Ken

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #23 of 26
Ken (and Nate)

I thought about starting another thread about the low profile LOD, but since it has come up here a couple times now I'll keep this going. We can take this either off line or to another thread if this idea grows.

So, I have two "problems" with your LOD's: one is that the high profile connector and cable sticking up out of the iPod (or iMod, as the case might be) can be problematic in portable modes. I carry a HUGE rig as a portable (iMod, pvacp, Lisa and Au/Ag cables), use it mostly at the gym, and, while careful, bumps and knocks are not unknown. The one part most prone to the odd bump is the high profile LOD. Over time I suspect either my iMod or the LOD will need service from "normal" wear and tear.

The second "problem" is that the sq is so good I will never, ever use anything else!

So, a LOD that was low profile and had the cable routed to the side would be a perfect solution.

If you could make one for the iPod (not the iMod) that was robust, solid and took the Au/Ag cable I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Oh yeah, if anyone could come up with the perfect bag to carry three (3) pieces of gear and big old ALO cables, that too would be an instant seller.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken (and Nate)

I thought about starting another thread about the low profile LOD, but since it has come up here a couple times now I'll keep this going. We can take this either off line or to another thread if this idea grows.

So, I have two "problems" with your LOD's: one is that the high profile connector and cable sticking up out of the iPod (or iMod, as the case might be) can be problematic in portable modes. I carry a HUGE rig as a portable (iMod, pvacp, Lisa and Au/Ag cables), use it mostly at the gym, and, while careful, bumps and knocks are not unknown. The one part most prone to the odd bump is the high profile LOD. Over time I suspect either my iMod or the LOD will need service from "normal" wear and tear.

The second "problem" is that the sq is so good I will never, ever use anything else!

So, a LOD that was low profile and had the cable routed to the side would be a perfect solution.

If you could make one for the iPod (not the iMod) that was robust, solid and took the Au/Ag cable I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Oh yeah, if anyone could come up with the perfect bag to carry three (3) pieces of gear and big old ALO cables, that too would be an instant seller.

Thanks FreeBlues.

Understood.

There are a few problems with making a ultra low profile ipod LOD. The main thing being that the configuration of a cable coming out of the right or left of the ipod dock is not very universal in nature. A dock with the cable coming off the left (or right) will not work well with some set ups. The ones we are making now are fairly universal. But yeah I totally hear you.

Let me see what I can do, I have a guy that works for me that is pretty good at 3d CAD drawing (solidworks) I think this will require a ALO exclusive connector.

Ken

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey WaxMan,

First thanks.

I have kind of reserved using solid silver wires in Cotton (for headphone cables) for silly extreme situations. Its not something that I want to do more than once a year. Also its not very durable/ delicate and require extra care. You have to use many small strands of silver to make up one conductor and its pretty difficult to get them in the cotton (silk) tube. I did make a pair of these for my K1000s but I would probably not do it again.

Ken

Is that the kind of cable that I have on my rare ALO re-cabled and woodied SR-60?

It completely transforms them into something else, and so much better than my stock SR-60, but I am afraid to use them much because you scared me about the delicate cable
tongue.gif
The plan is to put some PS-1 drivers in them, someday...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back