Never owned a pair of Open Ear headphones - what do you recommend, and what to expect?
Dec 28, 2023 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mdaps4shaz

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I currently own a number of bluetooth wireless headphones (Bathys, Dali-IO6, and Sony WH5), as well as a pair of ATH-M50X for music production.

I've always gone for Bluetooth headphones because of the ease, and the fact that I generally use my soundsystem when listening at home.

One thing I hear regularly - be it on this forum or elsewhere online - is that open-back wired headphones will invariably be better sound quality than the BT, closed-back counterparts.

Say I have £1000 budget - what would you suggest would be the set-up I go for (including DAC) for an open-back headphones listening session.

I'm also interested to hear what difference I can be expecting vs the Bathys. Noticeable upgrade in quality?

I'm going to into my local equipment store to test some out in the new year - any advice before then would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 7
Disclaimer - I haven't heard the Bathys, I have a pair of XM4 Sonys. Generally I think soundstage and separation are the biggest differences between closed ANC headphones and proper open-backs, and just overall a more coherent sound if you'll allow some audiophile terms. How big the difference is depends a lot on what open-backs you're comparing to. Something like a Sennheiser HD-650 will not be as big of a difference as say Hifiman Ananda or Arya.

If you need to fit a descent source into your budget, I'd look at Hifiman Ananda, and a DAC&amp combo eg. Fiio K7. This will give you a stark contrast to your previous experiences with headphones.

Dec 29, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 7
Agree with @spittis.
I use V-Moda Crossfade Wireless for wireless listening on the go. As far as I understand, the quality of imaging/staging and separation improves over closed-backs. OTOH, if you're looking for (and it's why I use Crossfade) bass impact/slam, open-backs on the whole lose to closed-backs.
Can't comment on the Bathys as I never used them, but I'm curious of your comment on comparing Bathys v. WH5 @mdaps4shaz, as Sony ANCs have been on my sight for a while.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 7
Agree with @spittis.
I used V-Moda Crossfade Wireless for wireless listening on the go. As far as I understood, the quality of imaging/staging and separation improves over closed-backs. OTOH, if you're looking for (and it's why I use Crossfade) bass impact/slam, open-backs on the whole lose to closed-backs.
Can't comment on the Bathys as I never used them, but I'm curious of your comment on comparing Bathys v. WH5 @mdaps4shaz, as Sony ANCs have been on my sight for a while.
I've got a lot of time for the Sony's, and think they are really decent. The stock sound is horrible; way too bassy and muddy. But the EQ app is really good and they can be tuned to sound much more neutral yet still exciting sound. They're supremely comfortable (lightweight and feels like you're not wearing phones at all at times) and the ANC is very, very good. Clarity and separation isn't as good as the Bathys, but the overall sound I've got with my eq settings means they're up there with some of the more expensive wireless cans I've tried (for ref, I've tried the Bose, Sennheiser Momentum 3s, B&W PX 7, B&O etc.)

Dec 29, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 7
open-back wired headphones will invariably be better sound quality than the BT, closed-back counterparts.
That are a lot of parameters!
Bluetooth is lossy compression so in principe a wired connection is better. Todays Bluetooth can sound pretty good indeed.
A Bluetooth headphone is an active one. It contains a DAC and an Amp. You can't improve on them. A wired headphone can be used of course with the DAC/Amp of your choice.
As Bluetooth is most of all intended for portable use, it is closed back. Don't try listening to your audio while commuting on a train or plane using open backs!.

If you like the Momentum, you might try the HD650. HD820 is stretching your budget a bit to much but if it is on hand, try.

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 7
There may be better open-back headphones in your higher-end budget. But I am delighted with the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X, about $350. (Try whatever branch of Thomann serves the UK for what may be a better price). Comfortable to the point of antigravity, natural and spacious sound -- I am just so happy with them.

I run them from a VE Megatron, $50 plus shipping in the US.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 7
JM Audio XTC open is on sale through tomorrow for $599. Heck of a pair of headphones that will be tuned to your exact preference. That would leave you a good budget for a dac/amp. Good affordable stuff from ifi or schiit is where I would look for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back