Need suggestions
Jul 21, 2009 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bobran

New Head-Fier
I am new at this so be patient. I find it is very difficult to select headphones because I will be making a purchase solely on recommendations. There’s not a dealer within a hundred miles of me where you can listen to headphones.

Here’s my situation.

Budget around 100 bucks.

Strictly home office desktop computer use. Primarily MP3”s and flac. Prefer open style since I want to hear doorbell or phone. No plans for amp or dac.

I have PX100 and Sportapro for portable use. I am using my PX100’s now and they do a very good job for me. I was thinking about a circumaural style, but they must be comfortable to use with glasses and hopefully, not too hot or heavy to use.

I want them strictly for music, no games. Preferred genres are classical, smooth jazz, blues, folk, R&B, pop, acoustical, soft rock, oldies. No heavy metal, hip hop, trance. I guess you would say kind of laid back. For example, I am listening to Mark Knopfler right now.

I want something I can listen to for several hours at a time. To my ears the PX100’s sound very good. I was ready to pull the trigger on the HD555, but now I am wondering if something else might be a better choice. With this kind of listening, what would be my best bet?

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was ready to pull the trigger on the HD555, but now I am wondering if something else might be a better choice. With this kind of listening, what would be my best bet?

HD 555 needs an amplification to sound good.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 15
Although I've never heard them myself, the standard answer to "awesome unamped circumaural open headphone for less than $100 to listen to music that isn't bass-heavy" is the AT AD700 - better start reading up now!

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 15
Yeah I like the audio technica ATH-AD700s. They can be used unamped, are circumaural and open. They might be a little top heavy, maybe. I find that I can listen with them for hours (I listen to mainly classical music). I haven't tried the HD555, so maybe someone with experience with both may provide a better answer/recommendation.

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest you do some research on Alessandro MS1's. Some complain about their comfort but I have never had an issue with them. Priced at around $100, open design, and very good sound.

Although I'm #1 Alessandro fanboy, I wouldn't recommend them here, as the OP was looking for smooth & laidback presentation and also mentioned classical.

A HD600 would be ideal, but a bit too expensive. Maybe 2nd hand?

To stay within budget, I suggest the AKG K530 (but not the LTD version with velours pads).

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 15
the AD700s are right up your alley. They are very detailed, and have a subtle sound to them they're relaxing to listen to.

Jul 21, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 15
HD555, used them for ~6 months unamped, IMO fits your needs.

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

With this kind of listening, what would be my best bet?

What sound card or other equipment will you be plugging these headphones into?

Is your head width average, less than average, or more than average width?

And, are you willing or not to do 1) a simply and reversible modification to the headphones or 2) a radical and non-reversible modification to the headphones?

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 15
I guess my head size is average.

I have an Asus M2N with pretty good on-board sound. I currently have a Turtle Beach PCI sound card that I am using. I also have an xitel minilink USB adapter which I picked up for my laptop. I am currently using WinAmp with IZotope Ozone EQ. I also have Foobar and Media Monkey.

I would be willing to a simple reversible modification, but prefer something out of the box that works after reasonable burn in.

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

I guess my head size is average.

I have an Asus M2N with pretty good on-board sound. I currently have a Turtle Beach PCI sound card that I am using. I also have an xitel minilink USB adapter which I picked up for my laptop. I am currently using WinAmp with IZotope Ozone EQ. I also have Foobar and Media Monkey.

I would be willing to a simple reversible modification, but prefer something out of the box that works after reasonable burn in.

OK, so I recommend the HD555. You can do the simple mod if you want to try making it sound like the HD595. Search "HD555" if interested. I think this involves opening it up and removing something.

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chartbreaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD 555 needs an amplification to sound good.

Not really. It'll benefit from one but it sounded good straight out of my integrated sound card when I had it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back