Need suggestions for music for kid's gifts
Nov 29, 2001 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mackay maus

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All;

I'm a tired old fart that could use a few suggestions for music for my guys. 17 and 18. I have a list from them, but would like to surprise them with something they mght not have heard of.

Can any of you suggest a rock and a techno CD from a non mainstream person that might be a nice surprise? The rock guy likes stuff like Green Day and Blink and the techno guy loves Moby.

Be a lot easier when they get into Miles Davis...

thanks

Matthew:

Nov 29, 2001 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 15
No idea about Techno since i'm heading towards old-fartdom myself.

For the Green Day fan it might be fun to see if he enjoys something from before he was born. I've only heard Green Day - Warning CD but a lot of it reminded me of SLF (Stiff Little Fingers). Their "Nobody's Heroes" CD should at least merit a listen from a Green Day fan.

Stuart.

Nov 29, 2001 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 15
That new Herbie Hancock CD called "Future 2 Future" is mostly electronica stuff with some jazz mixed in - that may lead to a more Miles future.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2001 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 15
don't know about the Moby guy, but for the rock guy get him the first 2 Green Day LPs on Lookout Records (39/Smooth and Kerplunk!) if he hasn't got them already.

... since he's a pop-punk kinda guy, might also be worth checking out stuff on Hopeless, Lookout, Epitaph or Fat Records (think they all have websites). hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2001 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 15
Can't buy radiohead, because they've received the kiss of death in my kids ears-their dad likes em! Especially Amnesiac!

Dec 3, 2001 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 15
Thanks for the info and comments. And appreciate that, in addition to outgrowing my jeans on an regular basis, I might have outgrown bad music.

Appreicate all the imput-great fun to share ideas.

M
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2001 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 15
For the techno one, try the "Run Lola Run" soundtrack. Its the only "techno" that I really like from what I have heard and is not really heard of much.

Dec 5, 2001 at 11:41 AM Post #15 of 15
Thanks for all the comments. I'll pick up some of the suggestions and let you know how they went over in the new year. At least I have someone to blame!

Matthew

Maybe I ain't as old as I think-I bought the Jamiroquai for myself the day it came out
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back