Need some good gaming headphones and Im overwhelmed
Aug 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

muell

New Head-Fier
Ive been researching on this website for awhile but this is my first post. I need to finally make a decision and get some headphones. I don't really have a budget but the lower the better. I guess $250 max. I want some headphones for about 75% pc and console gaming (Single player games so a mic isn't really necessary). The other 25% music and movies. Most of my gaming is done in our living room on my HTPC hooked to our tv. Ive never been much of a audio guy but my wife is going back to shool and likes to study in the same room as I game so I need to get some good closed headphones. I dont plan to run a separate amp or sound card it will be hooked up to this mother board. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132028  it has Realtek ALC1150 
audio chipset. Also wireless would be a plus but I could just get an extension cable. So far here are the models Ive looking into. In no particular order

Fidelio x1 - Im not sure about the open design of these
Beyerdynamic DT77 Pro 250 ohm
ath-m50
turtle beach earforce z300 - this is actually everything I want but Im not sure about the quality/ sound
MONOPRICE premium over ear headphones. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 4
I second the x1's. Fantastic headphones with a good sound card. They do leak sound, open design, so that will be a problem when she studies in the same room.

The ATH-m50's are good, but they don't have as good a soundstage as the x1's. They do review well.

I wouldn't recommend Turtle Beach headphones as their sound and build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

You could try the Steelseries Siberia V2's since you are using an onboard sound card. I enjoyed them with my onboard. They provide a nice closed-headphone experience, comfy fit, mic, and inline volume/mute control.

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 4
AKG Q701....you won't be disappointed

Add a clip on mic for online purpose if necessary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back