Need replacement for Astro a40s
Apr 9, 2015 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

FAstidieux

New Head-Fier
I don't have room to splurge, but any chance i get i do so on my hobby, gaming. I bought a pair of Astro a40's a few years back and i consider it to be the best purchase i have ever made.

However, the wiring is frayed and they are broken beyond repair. The fraying is next to the mute toggle and is just too short to be repaired. The sound comes out now at like 2% and i can't hear anything.

Thing is, my life is falling apart right now. I've had to move back in with my mom, who lives with her 2nd husband whom i barely know. I had to give my 3y/o dog to the pound before that because i couldn't afford to feed him. My life has been devastated these last few months and now my ******* headphones break today. I don't think I have ever felt so sad and low as i do right now.

I know its probably a 'first world' problem to care so much about headphones. Thing is, its my communication line to friends (no phone), and a vital part of how i attempt to dissociate from my ****ty reality through my favorite pasttime, gaming (in particular CS:Go).

What i would like from you guys are some rock solid recommendations for gaming oriented headphones. I loved my a40s and the newer models are more durable it seems as they lack the poorly placed mute toggle. I have no qualms about getting another pair. But you hear things like they are inflated in price and lacking quality. But the other companies like AKG/Sennheiser/Audio Technica (recommended brands) have so many different models compared to Astros...i feel ignorant really and i don't know if i could trust another brand. Im not really much of an audiophile, i just know that i want to have the audio wallhacks that were the a40s again (or better).

I still have the Astro Mixamp btw, i think my sound card is built into the mobo, but iirc it was decent...i have no clue if this matters atm because im so lacking in knowledge right now, as if the 'audio wallhacks' quip wasnt proof enough.

After some time searching i keep coming back to Sennheiser HD 558's. I was wondering if these are superior to the a40s? I guess if i had one preference in my choice of headphones it would be the 'clothy' cup vs the leather/pleather stuff. I just really don't want a step down from the a40s.

I can get the 558's right now (link below) for ~105USD, i have exactly that to my name right now... I would have to scrape money together to get another 150USD pair of Astros. I still would have to scrape money together for a microphone (also need recommendations) but right now i feel the 558s are solid, i just feel the need to justify the purchase based on gamer-specific feedback.

Thank you so much for your help, and please excuse the sap story that is this post, and my ignorance xD

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 3
My recommendation is usually the Senn HD558s.
The HD558 are the oldest headphones I have that I still like to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back