Need power cable for digital (xStream?)
Jul 25, 2003 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
I may only be holding my rig for another five months, but I get the feeling it'll be worth it to keep it sounding nice for a while. I miss the powercord I had on my Meridian more and more and I feel it's time I bought one to replace it. I'm looking for something that costs well under $200 and has resale value so if I sell it in a few months I won't have lost much money. I think I need a cord that's at least 5' in length (1.5m will probably do, though).

The new xStream power cords from PS Audio look interesting, even though they're not widely available used. Should I go for that? Or perhaps one of the old guards?

I've read a lot about the VD cords but I'd like something that's a little easier to handle.

Thanks!

Jul 25, 2003 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 9
Buying used is your best bet if you dont' want to lose too much.

Having said that. What specific models are you trying to compare?

Comparing the Prelude with the VD Reference I liked the Reference more.

Jul 25, 2003 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 9
The VD Reference does cost a lot more than the Prelude, though. I had a Tek Line before and it was really quite good (um, compared to stock), though it was the pc5w meant for pre-amps, not the pc12w.

I'm open to any suggestions. I'd really like to spend under $125 but I'd be willing to go a bit higher if there were something a little more expensive available that would be worth it.

Jul 25, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 9
While I have not tried many of the popular cords, I do really like the xStream Prelude I have on my Rega. Compared to the stock cord, it is more open, better sense of "air", deeper more solid bass. I had a VH Flavor 3 (the shielded 2 wire version) which had a better sense of space than the stock cord and a little better bass, but it was thin in comparison. The PS xStream also has a much more realistic sense of timbre than anything else I tried - less digital sounding to me.

I was initially tempted to try the PS because of the connectors and the ferrite-impregnated shield - features that appear to be unique to PS Audio.

I also tried it on my Emmeline amp (which has the rep of not responding well to trick cords), and was encouraged enough by what I heard to consider purchasing a second one. The sonic traits I hear on the Rega seemed to transfer to the amp as well.

Well made and the price isn't ridiculous.

Jul 27, 2003 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 9
I've been thinking about it. But at $200 it's perhaps a little more than I want to pay. Maybe when people start selling them used I'll consider one?

Jul 27, 2003 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 9
Considering that the price for a new one will likely go up significantly, I would be surprised if you can get one used for much less than $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back