Need help to troubleshoot my Sota Comet
Sep 26, 2005 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

baskaran

New Head-Fier
I need help troubleshooting a problem I have with my Sota Comet. I think it has an RB250 tonearm, but I am not sure. It has a Sumiko bluepoint cartridge. Lately, I am having trouble playing anything for more than a few minutes. It is as if the tonearm doesn't want to swing to track the groove. After a few minutes, the stylus starts jumping and playing the same section over and over. At that point if I lift the tone arm, I feel a little horizontal force pulling it outwards.

I am wondering how I can correct this problem. Is this a tonearm problem? Can it be fixed? Do I need a new tonearm?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Baskaran

Sep 26, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by baskaran
At that point if I lift the tone arm, I feel a little horizontal force pulling it outwards.

I am wondering how I can correct this problem. Is this a tonearm problem? Can it be fixed? Do I need a new tonearm?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Baskaran

That sounds like your tonearm's anti-skate needs adjusting. It should be set equal to your VTF (vertical tracking force), give or take a few tenths of a gram. You can read here about proper cartridge/arm set-up.

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
That sounds like your tonearm's anti-skate needs adjusting. It should be set equal to your VTF (vertical tracking force), give or take a few tenths of a gram. You can read here about proper cartridge/arm set-up.

That is what I thought. But, changing the anti-skate setting does not make any difference!

Sep 27, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
What is it set at and what is the recommended VTF for the Sumiko?

The recommended VTF for the Sumiko Bluepoint is between 1.27 and 1.7 grams. I have tried the entire range. I have also tried a large range of anti-skating setting.

Here is another thing I see. If I try moving the tone arm I can feel a little stickyness. Shouldn't it rotate very very freely?

I have posted a couple of pictures of the tonearm here. Can someone identify the make and model of this arm for me please. I think this is not a Rega tonearm. Is it a LMT II tonearm?

Thanks,

baskaran

Users who are viewing this thread

Back