Need help to choose a headphone under $500 for alternative rock, pop, indie
Oct 21, 2014 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

timmywillie

New Head-Fier
I've already bought a Onky dac-ha200 dac/amp.  Coming from Beats Studio. I'm willing to spend some $ to upgrade the current setup.  I've tried to download some FLAC files and already see some improvements.

I've tried Ultrasone 900, v-moda m100.  Both are way too much bass.

What should I get?   Is Sennheiser 598 or audio technica m50x a good choice?  Thanks for the help in advanced.

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 9
Are you OK with open cans (like the HD 598)--they leak sound and don't isolate well?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Also--I'm not familiar with your amp, but assume it's an Onkyo.  What cans (in terms of Ohms and sensitivity rating) can it power?

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 9
Yes. I am ok with open cans.

Yes. it's onkyo  

here is the specs:
Power output:145 mW + 145 mW(32 Ω, 1 kHz, 10% THD, JEITA)
60 mW + 60 mW(300 Ω, 1 kHz, 10% THD, JEITA)
35 mW + 35 mW(600 Ω, 1 kHz, 10% THD, JEITA)

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 9
Not sure what sound signature I'm seeking.  

But like the title says, I'm listening to alternative rock, pop, indie.  which is always a combination of male voice, bass, acoustic and electric guitars. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 9

But like the title says, I'm listening to alternative rock, pop, indie.  which is always a combination of male voice, bass, acoustic and electric guitars. 

I've got a few recommendations for you,

I really like my closed back Audio Technica W1000X for rock music, the mids are really top notch and the over all presentation is great, if you mod the W1000x it get's even better! You can find fully modded W1000x here on the Head Fi For sale boards for around $450 ish an it's very easy to drive

for an Open Back I think an Audio Technica AD 2000X would work nice as well, it has a simmilar presentation to the w1000x with a touch more open ness 

but I very much enjoy Audio Technica cans for rock music, and honestly my Modded W1000x is one of my favorite cans! It's very balanced and has a nice sound stage for a closed back.

What I might do is shoot you a link to such Posts here on Head Fi, 

Personally I found headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT 880 to be a little boring for rock [that an your amp might not drive them to well] 

But actually, the hifiman HE 400i might also work nicely for you, though I've only heard the Hifiman HE 400 and HE 4 

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 9

In which case I'd stay with the HD 598 (or 558).  It's a quality can and as safe a choice as is out there.  There is nothing in its sound signature that generally puts people off.  On top of that it's fairly easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back