Need help on the computer noise
Sep 1, 2004 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

questchen

New Head-Fier
I just open my new dell desktop (Dimension 4600) and hook it up with monitor. I found it very noisy probably due to the video card fan. I noticed that there is big fan at the back of desktop which most likely to give this noise continousely. My Wharfedale speaker also arrive today. But now I lost the interest to hook them with my desktop. The noise make me very uncomfortable. I will be very grateful if any of you can give me some suggestions on how to reduce the noise of desktop.

Btw. my video card is 128M ATI Allinwonder 9800 pro. Is there some way to change the video card cooling fan? Thank you very much.

Sep 1, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 10
Being a new computer and under warranty, I wouldn't suggest modifying anything without prior authorization from Dell. I know this doesn't help you with the noise issue, but I wanted to warn you before someone suggested changing fans or modifying components. Good luck with it.

Sep 1, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 10
If you have the guts to replace the video card fan, the artic cooler is very good, with an adjustable high/low speed. You can also switch exhaust fan at the rear of the computer with a panaflo l1a. The L1a is one of the most trusted quiet fans and operates at about 21db. It doesn't push a lot of air (23cfm or so), but it is quiet. The problem is, with only 1 exhaust fan and it being the weaker panaflo, things might get a little toasty. You can look into the medium version of the panaflo too, tho the model number escapes me at this moment. svc is a good place to look up fans and cooling.

Sep 1, 2004 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 10
I think the best place to look for help and ideas is: <http://www.silentpcreview.com>. As mentioned earlier. most of the mods are warranty voiding. Good luck and good fun.

Sep 1, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 10
What you could do is try to isolate the computer. Perhaps put a vented cardboard box over it to absorb some of that noise energy.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just a thought-ouf-of-the-box (no pun intended!)
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 10
Zalman sells a fanless heatsink for video cards (quite large - it takes up another slot on the system). I'm unsure if it would work on 9800-class cards, but apparantly it's pretty safe for GF4s, which is why I'm buying it for my 4200 after its fan died. (!)

Short of that, you can try using long cable runs to keep the computer stuff in a separate room. I'm told this solution works best when you can knock holes in walls though
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 10
The Zalman fannless heatsink is only good with 9800's if you get the optional fan. Another good option to look at is the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer. I have one and it's a) quiet b) cheap and c) very easy to install (the hardest part is removing the old heatsink).

Sep 2, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 10
Not that this helps with your Dell, but I just built a home theater PC using the quietest components I could. I have it in on my electronics rack right next to my TV and you hardly notice it. It also runs nice and cool with my 2.5GHz P4 CPU. Here are some things you may consider now or down the road:

1) Use a power supply with a 120mm fan. I am using a Seasonic Tornado.
2) Acoustifan makes some low-rev fans with thermistors that are great case fan replacements. I have one 80mm fan in my case.
3) Use a video card without a fan, or replace the fan with a large, passive heatsink. I did the former (9600se).
4) Use a quiet CPU cooler. I have the Zalman 7000 series with a fanmate so I can drop the CPU fan down to really low revs.

Hope this helps;
SteveO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back