Need help for EMU 0404...
Dec 3, 2004 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dawn777

Head-Fier
I want to buy a used EMU0404, but from the picture, there are so many output jack on the sound card.

I want to use the sound card connect amp or directly connect a headphone. Both amp and phone are mini 1/8 plug.

Which jacks should I connect from the left to the right?
Whant kind adapter I should have?

Thanks
emu0404.jpg

Dec 3, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 13
the red and white inputs to the left should be the analog outs. get two cables with 1/4 ends and stick em in there. on the other end of your cables should be RCA - stick those in your amp. If you dont have cables that go from 1/4 to rca, either ask someone to make one, buy one, or use your rca to rca cable with a rca to 1/4 adapter bought cheap from radio shack
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
the red and white inputs to the left should be the analog outs. get two cables with 1/4 ends and stick em in there. on the other end of your cables should be RCA - stick those in your amp. If you dont have cables that go from 1/4 to rca, either ask someone to make one, buy one, or use your rca to rca cable with a rca to 1/4 adapter bought cheap from radio shack
biggrin.gif

Almost totally right, but the OP seems to have only a 1/8" input on his amp.

So, in summary, the 1/4" red and white plugs on the left (the set all the way on the left IIRC) are mono outputs. To connect to your amp, do the following:

1) Use two of the adapters MaMMa linked to in those plugs. 1/4" male to RCA female. This will let you use RCA cables. (Incidentally, there are cheaper versions...the gold plated ones, IIRC, are actually $1.00 cheaper).

2) Use RCA cables with male (the part that plugs in) on either end.

3) Radioshack sells (though I did not see it online, probably looking in the wrong place) a plug that's two RCA inputs ("female") on one end, and one 1/8" stereo plug on the other ("male"). Connect to your amp. Should you (for whatever reason) want to go ampless, pick up a 1/8" female/female connecter.

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigears
u6gw9

[/IMG]

[size=small]

I'm totally confused now. What are the gold thingies for?
Also, should I be listening for a loud click, or is it more of a "swoosh" sound?

biggrin.gif
[/size]

P.S. More seriously, what are the two black RCA's on the card for?

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 13
the 2 gold thingies:

the breakout cable from your emu requires 1/4 mono jack, which you don't really use for PCs. So you get the the 1/4 mono jack that converts to RCA.

Then from your RCA you plug into your AMP or you get the RCA cable that converts into Mini

As far as the click/swoosh sound, I'm assuming you are talking about how it should sound with you push the convertor in? It'll be a snapping sound.

Dec 4, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
Me was just being funny
biggrin.gif
... the diagram was abundantly self-explanatory.

I am still interested to know what the black RCAs are for if they are not line-level outputs.

-coma

comabereni
those black things are one coaxial input and one coaxial output (digital)
the card has a lot of conection options
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 13
hmm I was wondering, If I could use this:

AAQCHEETAH1.0MX_LG.jpg

Maybe not that exact brand but the same connections to RCA ~> AMP

If so, would the sound be better then using the 1/4 mono

Dec 5, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #13 of 13
MaMMa,

if you want to use balanced outputs (3 pins)
you will have to choose a emu 1212m
since the emu 0404 does not have it.

Rca can be used, like those Audioquest - Cheetah Interconnects, or others of your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back