Need Cable Advice
Nov 25, 2001 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

roll-man

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a recommendation for a high quality RCA to XLR interconnect. It doesn't need to be longer than 1 meter. I'm going from my Rotel RC 945 CDP to a rack mounted pro-audio headphone amp. I'm using this for some final mixdown critical listening. Thanks.

Nov 25, 2001 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 10
Usually, when you're going from "consumer" gear to "pro" gear, it's not just a cable, you will want to make sure the levels are matched, and that you are wiring the correct pins (sometimes you want to wire hot-to-hot and ground-to-ground, but sometimes you want you to wire it ground-to-negative...I think...don't quote me on that). My Mackie manuals typically have a wiring diagram under a section they call "connecting from an unbalanced source". You may want to look for a similar section in the manual for your headphone amp (what kind is it, anyway?).

I forget what the conversion is. Someone here should know.

OTOH, if it does end up just being a cable, Markertek usually has freaggin' everything.

Nov 25, 2001 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 10
thanks...yeah I've got to look into the whole balanced-unbalanced thing. I picked up one of these for a song (less than $100) and I wanted to fool around at home with it on some studio projects that a buddy and I have been working on. I just got a bonus at work and had a bunch of extra cash lying around...what do you think of that rig? Does it have any practical purpose?

Nov 25, 2001 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 10
Not familiar with it, but at one point, I bought a bunch of V6's, and I was going to have a headphone party.

Nov 25, 2001 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 10
If I got a raise and was in Berkeley, I'd see the San Francisco Symphony... to each their own
smily_headphones1.gif

anyway, tell us how it works out.

Nov 25, 2001 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

I'd see the San Francisco Symphony

I already have a subcription for the entire season. I've had it since 1993. MTT is doing a great job.

Nov 25, 2001 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 10
Cool! I saw the Blacher/Rachmaninof/Sibelius concert and it was amazing... you're a lucky man to be located so close.

But seriously, tell us how the Behringer multi-headphone thing works out. Mass evangelism?
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 25, 2001 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 10
I got lucky...my good friend was in law school back in '93-'94 and bought 4 season tickets under a student discount, which is 50% off. Six of us shared the 4 seats and rotated around for 2 seasons. This was back in the Bloomstedt era. (Boy that guy loved Sibelius). Anyway, after law school finished, my friend took a job in NYC and offered me the seats. I got rid of two and have kept the other two seats since then. I have to say my, taste is very much in line with Tilson-Thomas and we've really enjoyed some great shows. As for the Behringer rig, we'll see how it goes. In reading the owners manual, it looks like it has some circuitry that discerns between balanced and unbalanced sources and adjusts accordingly. Also it has a nifty "direct-in" feature that should make sourcing it pretty easy. I intend on using it for critical listening parties (if the sound quality is up to par) and also using it for when four of us are watching dvd's very late into the night (which is actually quite often). We have a tenant living directly under our a/v room, so at least we can do our thing and not wake anybody up. I found some high quality xlr to rca canare cables this morning at a pro-audio shop in Oakland, so we'll give it a go and see what happens...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2001 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 10
roll-man:

If there are any nights that you don't plan on using your tickets, let me know
wink.gif
I'd be interested in buying them from you on nights you aren't using them, since we live quite close.

Nov 26, 2001 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 10
You got it. Every once and a while I don't go and I usually call the box office and donate them back. I'd be happy to leave them for you at will-call. And I would not charge you, although I appreciate the offer. Since they're already paid for it would be my pleasure to see someone else enjoy a show at no cost to them. My series is for Friday nights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back