Need Best Option for Schiit Stack
Jul 3, 2019 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kroovy

New Head-Fier
Hello wise sages and philosophers of the sound,

I recently upgraded to a DT770 80 ohm + Magni/Modi v3 Schiit stack. I plan on bringing my set up to and from work every day but I'm having an issue finding a good player that has the features I'm looking for. Finding good info on DAPs with digital outputs that don't have built in DACs/amps, and weren't posted less than 5 years ago, is like an esoteric rabbit hole of old consumer products and hopeful foreshadowing to current technology lol.

Needs:
  • Digital output (Modi accepts micro USB, S/PDIF optical, and coaxial inputs)
  • Lossless playback e.g.: FLAC, WAV, OGG
  • Expansive memory i.e.: accepts SD cards
Wants:
  • Android OS with sideloading
  • WiFi + streaming
  • Battery life
Unnecessary:
  • Built in DAC/amp
  • Bluetooth capabilities

So far the only viable thing I've found is the FiiO M5/M7 and the only reason I'm holding back is the inability to sideload. I tried using my phone but made the mistake of buying an OTG cable that's too short, not to mention my phone is a little wonky when hooked up with the charging light blinking off and on erratically. My budget is ~$300 depending on what all features are available, preferably under $200. I appreciate your attention and consideration!

Jul 3, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 3
Why not the M9? It's $300 new and was their flagship DAP (of the new M series) until they released the M11, I think.

And FYI, this thread is strictly supposed to go in the Recommendations forum. : )

Edit:
Sorry, I just reread your post and you don't want a DAP -- just a digital transport. (Is there a problem having an amp/DAC onboard? You might have a use for it once in a while, no? Out walking, or in the car, for example? But you want what you want, and I'm sure you know your own needs. OK, no prob. Sorry.) Anyway, I'm not aware of this sort of device, but I bet someone else will have a good idea. Sorry to be useless. : (

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 3
The Tempotec V1 is good. It’s just a transport without a headphone jack. Coaxial output, usb output. 2 Card slots (it says it’s limited to 250gb each but I’ve used a 512gb card in there too). It’s made well (very similar to the AP80 in function, but different dimensions and is made by the same company). I use mine with a Portable Monoprice THX amp. Only problem is it has a slight hiss issue with DSD tracks (which they said they would look at with firmware).
And it’s a bluetooth throw device with APTX and LDAC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back