Need amp for HD600 and Grado SR80
Jun 2, 2002 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ninoe99

New Head-Fier
I need your advice on a low cost tube amp particularly for the HD600. The Grado SR80 is an afterthought. I prefer the Senns over the Grados but believe the Grados will work better for a portable and for rock/pop/electronic and r&b music overall.

Here are my choices: (Let me know what you think. Thanks!)

In order of preference -
1. ASL MG-Head
2. Corda HA-1

If I get more money -
1. Sugden Headmaster
2. EarMax PRO

I will make use of the head amp mainly for the Senn HD600s and don't care too much about plugging in the SR80s to this amp.

Nino

Jun 3, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 14
ninoe99,

first off, the corda HA-1 is NOT a tube amp.

second, the Sugden Headmaster is not a tube amp either.

without a doubt the mg head OTL is you're best bet for a low-cost tube amp. the other option is the moretto amp (under $300 on ebay).

people have had problems with the mg head in the past so i suggest you do a search and then decide after you have all the facts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 14
Arnett,

Doh! You are correct. I'm pretty much set on the MG-Head. What problems were there previously? Has ASL fixed them with the DT version? Thanks for the tip!

Nino

Jun 3, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 14
ninoe99,

in my experience (and from what i see on this board), there's a greater chance of something going wrong with a tube amp.

namely hum or buzz. i once owned an mg head. thankfully, it did not have any problems. a few months after i sold it, however, it developed a problem (although i can't remember exactly what i was).

this is one of the reasons i'm a solid state kinda guy. IMHO, solid state is much more reliable.

BTW, the DT is the OLDER version. the OTL is the newer one.

http://head-fi.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=otl

Jun 3, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 14
So, if I go solid state, what do you recommend? What are the aural tradeoffs with having a tube vs. ss sound. I'm all for a neutral sound with a balance of bass, mid and high frequencies.

Jun 3, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 14
hehehe

mg head lovers are going to kill me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

What are the aural tradeoffs with having a tube vs. ss sound. I'm all for a neutral sound with a balance of bass, mid and high frequencies.

tubes have a warmer midrange. SS is better at the extremes. but *and this is the kicker* SS has better bass, IMO.

personally, i feel SS is more 'balanced,' but it's a matter of preference. i can't really answer your preference . . . you'll have to try for yourself.
frown.gif

i use a headroom little which i like very much. with the crossfeed, it rolls off the highs and increases the bass. not what i'd call neutral though.

creek obh-11 might work. plus, it's a mere $180USD.

but there's a TON of good SS amps out there. i haven't heard the vast majority of them, so i can't comment on them.

Jun 3, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 14
I think that's a "fair enough" comparison...Okay, I'm planning to go with the Sugden Headmaster...is this a good match with the Senn HD600s? Appreciate your comments very much. Thanks!

Here's what I've been through -
EarMax Pro
MG Head DT
Sugden HeadMaster (final, I hope)

Jun 3, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 14
I think you owe it to yourself to check-out one of the Headroom amps in your range. A Maxed-out home reference is a killer amp for the price.

No doubt my next good amp is going to be a Max with a stepped attenuator.

The Sugden sure is sexy as hell and is supposed to be a great amp but I would highly recommend the Headroom offerings with the HD600s. Also consider he Cardas or Equniox cables to pair-up with the HD600s to replace the stock cable. The difference is quite amazing.

Jun 3, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 14
From every review I've read and from personal experience...you're better off with a tube amp for the Senn 600.

I have not heard the headmaster though.

MY Mg Head is dead quiet about a year old and is built like a tank. No hums or buzzing.

You have to remember that there are likely 10 times the people owning the Head as a headmaster...you hear more problems of course but that is simple statiscs.

Tube amps can get dirty where you plug the tubes in. Simply take the tube out and blow into the socket to get rid of the dust...and you're fine.

Jun 3, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 14
While I contend that the comments about tubes vs solid states are vast glaring overgeneralizations, they are true in the specific--ie, the Corda vs the MG Head OTL. Both are nice amps in their price range but indeed, the rolloff at both ends and the sluggish speed of the MG Head OTL were why I sold mine and kept the Corda.

What I would be more concerned with is that I'm not sure how well matched the Grado and MG Head OTL are. I'm not saying they aren't, I just can't recall hearing a lot of reviews of that combination compared to the great number of HD600/MG Head owners.

I'd also consider used amps if that can help you stretch your budget to cover a better amp. The sellers on HeadFi tend to be reliable. However, you may have to be quick on the draw to get a used Sugden.

Jun 3, 2002 at 12:26 PM Post #12 of 14
ninoe99:
Quote:

In order of preference -
1. ASL MG-Head
2. Corda HA-1

I'm all for a neutral sound with a balance of bass, mid and high frequencies.

The Corda HA-1 is your amp. Compact, affordable, versatile, and very capable.

arnett:
Quote:

tubes have a warmer midrange. SS is better at the extremes. but *and this is the kicker* SS has better bass, IMO.

Correct... concerning lower-end equipment, that is. The Ear HP4 is a tubed amp that "does it all". For $3,500... it had better!

RGA:
Quote:

From every review I've read and from personal experience...you're better off with a tube amp for the Senn 600.

Personally speaking, I agree. But everyone knows I'm one of those freaky tube heads anyway.

kelly:
Quote:

What I would be more concerned with is that I'm not sure how well matched the Grado and MG Head OTL are. I'm not saying they aren't, I just can't recall hearing a lot of reviews of that combination compared to the great number of HD600/MG Head owners.

I did not like the combination either.

Jun 3, 2002 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 14
I don't really understand the problems people have with Grado/Head combos.

I have the regular DT(non OTL) version and the first can I heard the Head with was the Grado RS2. I ordered the amp in through a dealer that was not carrying the MG head(though they carried several ASL Stereo AMPs.

The first thing he, his co-worker and I said was WOW. And that was with no warm-up and stock tubes. Easily better than the Creek and RA1...the latter which is more expensive solid state.

No problem with speed or bass response...My Sonys are bass hounds and actually sound good through the Head...had I known I may have kept them.

Is there as much bass? Likely not...but what's there is better than the RA1 or the Creek OB11 2se( not sure of the model # but it was Creek's best). I'm even a Creek fan.

Can't speak to the SR 80...but why would you buy an average headphone and then spend more on the amp? That makes no sense. Leave the SR80 for portables...it's a good value headphone to be sure...but it does not warrant a high quality amp.

And if the Head is not your bag there are other tube headphone amps...

Sugden has always made nice amps...and the Headmaster is also a preamp...but it costs three times as much...and for that money I would want a better preamp than the Sugden...but then I'd want tubes.

Jun 5, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Can't speak to the SR 80...but why would you buy an average headphone and then spend more on the amp? That makes no sense. Leave the SR80 for portables...it's a good value headphone to be sure...but it does not warrant a high quality amp.

That's my intent for having the SR80...it's for portables and like I said, the Senn HD600s will use the amp. I believe the same principle applies for full size systems as with headphone systems - get the best speakers/phones you can get with what you can afford (best is a relative term, as is every other term in the universe) and pair it with a decent amp and you're set...until you can upgrade again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks to everyone who have put in their 2 cents on this...now I am more confused than ever. Just kidding!

For now, I am just planning to get a Corda....unless somebody plans to sell the Sugden for cheap, or I get a bonus. Both which have a very small percentage of happening in the near future.

Nino
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back