need a portable amp without a DAC
Feb 24, 2018 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MROOD

New Head-Fier
hi

I have been using my FiioE12 Mont Blanc for 2 years now

As I have purchased/collected multiple high end headphones I thought its time to upgrade my portable headphone amp.

I have now gone into hi res music as I have bought a hires walkman

Headphone collection I own many from 32ohm to 250ohms i.e M50x Fostex Tr90s senns and beyers

I use my zxr to drive my headphones and they are do its job perfectly, bought a few desk top amps and the ZXR just blows them away.

now I bought the Creative E5 and I have used it for a week, and I dont like the sound quality either, its got a built in dac which i will never use as well as other functions, im gonna sell or return

Hence why I want a dedicated headphone amp without a DAC, it will be solely used only for portable use to be connected with my HiRes Walkman

I know when you buy a portable headphone amp its price increases because of a built in dac,s

So other than the Fiio range anyone know of a quality headphone amp without a dac?

can be old or new...

thanks

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 12
There are quite a few options. What's your price range? Any feature requirements?
about 200 or a little more

bought a sony pha1a and i do not like it, sound options disable so when listening to music there is no bass cannot tweak the sound settings, all i get is a volume knob, sound quality is good either, lack of power distorts at full volume and its a digital connection inly why usb sound settings dont work

got a fiio mont blanc but i want to upgrade and i bought a few high end headphones

creative e5, didnt like either, once again a dac that i dont use and the sound isnt that good either, the thing is 99% of portable headphone amps have dacs in them which i will never use.

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 12
about 200 or a little more

bought a sony pha1a and i do not like it, sound options disable so when listening to music there is no bass cannot tweak the sound settings, all i get is a volume knob, sound quality is good either, lack of power distorts at full volume and its a digital connection inly why usb sound settings dont work

got a fiio mont blanc but i want to upgrade and i bought a few high end headphones

creative e5, didnt like either, once again a dac that i dont use and the sound isnt that good either, the thing is 99% of portable headphone amps have dacs in them which i will never use.

Sounds like Fiio A5 might be a good choice? No DAC, lots of power, bass boost. And well within budget.

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 12
hi, isnt the fiio a5 extremley similar to the Fiio E12 Mont Blanc? becuase it looks the same and i already own the e12

Oh by the way i bought a sony pha1a and since it connects to digital only the sound effects on my walkman diables, comparing the E5 and E12 they walk all over the PHA1

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 12
It's an update to the E12. https://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-a5-new-e12-aka-fav-fiio-amp/

You could also look at the Cayin C5 in the same price and power range, but I don't know if it would be an upgrade over the Fiio options.

There aren't a ton of other amps in the same price range that have bass boost and similar/better power specs. Maybe a used ALO RX MK3?

If you don't mind a significant jump upward in price, maybe a VorzAMP Duo?

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 12
It's an update to the E12. https://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-a5-new-e12-aka-fav-fiio-amp/

You could also look at the Cayin C5 in the same price and power range, but I don't know if it would be an upgrade over the Fiio options.

There aren't a ton of other amps in the same price range that have bass boost and similar/better power specs. Maybe a used ALO RX MK3?

If you don't mind a significant jump upward in price, maybe a VorzAMP Duo?

ALO RX MK3-B my god a solid choice, extremely rare though, none for sale on the bay or the jungle, actualy could find it for sale in the uk, i think its only available in certain countries unless its discontinued research suggests its priced between £500 and £300

Cayin C5 this is available and at a very decent price too, have you used this one? whats it like vs fiio E12 mont blanc?

VorzAMP Duo nice choice, went to the original manufacturers site, selling for around £380, priced like the mojo which is twice my budget, i didnt want to go above $220/£200

honestly the Cayin C5 looks like the only contender, let me see if i can find a YouTube vid review

youre awesome

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 12
I haven't heard the C5, but my guess based on the reviews I've read is that it would be in the same category as the E12 or A5. Similar specs and features, but I don't know close/different the sound is.

ALO RX MK-3B is definitely discontinued, but they do come up sometimes on the used market in the $250-500 range depending on condition etc.

Sep 26, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 12
Why has this category of portable head-fi gear pretty much dried up?
Everyone seems to want a DAC/amp nowadays.
Maybe its 'cause o' da phones. But a lotta good players out, like my Fiio M11 Pro. Supposedly, it's got a great AAA amp inside. But as soon as I fed the M11Pro LineOut to my Go-Vibe ($100 9v portable amp from 2006) or any of my DIY Tangent projects from years ago, the "HO" sonics of the M11Pro just sounded way inferior in comparison. I mean WAAAAAAAAAAAAY inferior. So much so that the same music files thru my 2010 Colorfly or Teclast DAPs (via their LO) sound waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better with Go-Vibe/Tangent amps than thru my 2020 M11Pro (HO).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back