Need a new portable...
May 9, 2002 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Hello everyone, my beloved MZ-R50 just broke, and I need a new portable with a dedicated line out. I don't care if it is MD, CD, or MP3, I just want it to sound good. I was thinking of getting one of those USB mp3's and putting WAV's on it. The DEJ-1000 also looks intriguing. Please list some great players with lines out for me...

May 9, 2002 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 7
It's one of the few MD recorders worth repairing. At least get an estimate before putting it to rest.

I'd still stick with MiniDisc. The newer ATRAC has even better sound than the older R50, and the high-end units (MZ-N1, R909) are quite sweet. Battery life is WAY better than just a few years ago.

May 9, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 7
Agreed. And even if you can't get it fixed, you might want to check out ebay - I bought an R50 a few weeks ago for $71, and the thing is in perfect condition.

May 10, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm actually kinda tired of MD. Recording is such a pain! Can you recommend any good pcdp's?

May 10, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
It's one of the few MD recorders worth repairing. At least get an estimate before putting it to rest.

I'd still stick with MiniDisc. The newer ATRAC has even better sound than the older R50, and the high-end units (MZ-N1, R909) are quite sweet. Battery life is WAY better than just a few years ago.

Actually... The sound of the sharp 821 that I had before the MZ-R50 was superior to my ears, and the 821 seemed to have a higher caliber of build quality than the MZ-R50

May 10, 2002 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 7
If you get a TOS-link cable with mini plugs, you can easily make wonderful digital recordings from a PCDP with an optical out. How about getting a newer PCDP plus a lower-end MiniDisc unit?

May 10, 2002 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 7
I love my SL-CT780, which is unfortunately being loaned to someone else right now. Even the headphone out sounds pretty good to me; the antishock seems rather innocuous. The line out is really, really good.

I've also had good experiences with the Panasonic Shockwave PCDPs (the SL-SWxxx models). Unfortunately, they seem to be very hard to find locally in the San Francisco Bay Area (where I live).

Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
I'm actually kinda tired of MD. Recording is such a pain! Can you recommend any good pcdp's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back