need a fiancee to marry Denon AH-D2000
Jan 19, 2009 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

trungkien978

New Head-Fier
i just got a Denon D2000 and now i want to upgrade it with a headamp, idk which headamp (portable or full-size) is most suitable to D2000. I like Ibasso P3 Hero and Zero DAC, but idk which one is better, since i like ibasso' design, P3 is more expensive (with my theory is better) but is a portable one while zero is full-size, i most consider about home listening. I like to listen J-music (Pop, rock, RnB, ballad, instrumental....)
i need advice, thx
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
L3000.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by trungkien978 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no one gives the adivse
frown.gif
, idk which headamp should i buy
frown.gif

It's not easy to pop a recommendation off the top of our heads. I don't have any experience with the amps you mentioned. I have a RSA P-51 Mustang amp that I think works quite well with my D2000 cans. I also have a couple Practical Devices XM-4 amps that sound good (the newest version...XM5...is supposed to sound even better...just read the reviews on the forum). But I can't make any recommendations based on the amps you were suggesting.

Sorry
frown.gif

As far as a full-size amp for home listening, make sure you ask on the full size forum. I'm sure someone will be happy to make a recommendation.

Lastly, don't be discouraged if no one posts immediately to your question. It may take a bit of time to see it and reply.

Cheers! Welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry for your wallet
wink_face.gif

-HK sends

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 12
RSA P-51 Mustang is very good

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 12
well; if you need an amp then the P3 is the only option, because the alien is a dac not a dac/amp or amp. the recommendations I would make are probably outside you unstated budget, so i'll leave it. the P3 is OK, but like all the ibasso products they wont have paid any attention to shielding, so if you are using it anywhere there might be RF or EMF interference your in trouble. any chance of giving us a budget?? you have asked for a recommendation ot of .... well everything.... portable.. not portable... dac.... amp...???? makes it very difficult to help you; there is sOOOOO much gear out there. I have modded D2000 and I find they sound great out of my pico and lisa III but thats some decent money.

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Hmm, about the D2000, I have a related question.

I'm using Touch 2G LOD + Mustang + IE8, which have been working perfectly. However, I wanted to get a full size headphone to use at home that can provide the punchy bass that can't be found in IEMs. After a bit of research, I found that D2000 seemed like the ideal phones for portable amp + source, since it doesn't require as much power.

Upon auditioning D2000 at the store, I noticed every single song I played was distorted and sounded worse than FM radio. I noticed that barely any bass was present even in heavy bass songs. The mid sounded.... well, for a lack of a better word, grainy and lo-fi. Many songs also appeared way too bright than usual, basically I could not find a song that was satisfactory to listen to. I tried playing songs in different bitrates, but none was any good, or even close to what IE8 can produce. Additionally, I tried the various gain settings in my Mustang and none helped. Needless to say, I went home without the D2000 today.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone know which part of my configuration is causing the problem? The problem caused by me not using lossless? (My songs are in 320 and 192 mostly) Or it is because Touch simply sucks. Or is it because Mustang is not a good fit with D2000. I think I must be missing something, since I've never heard anything half as bad out of any other headphones.

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphataru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Or is it because Mustang is not a good fit with D2000. I think I must be missing something, since I've never heard anything half as bad out of any other headphones.

I have found that the Mustang is a great fit with the D2000. One question is what gain setting did you use? I use Medium and have found that the Denons sound really nice.

-HK sends

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

I'm using Touch 2G LOD + Mustang + IE8, which have been working perfectly. However, I wanted to get a full size headphone to use at home that can provide the punchy bass that can't be found in IEMs. After a bit of research, I found that D2000 seemed like the ideal phones for portable amp + source, since it doesn't require as much power.

Upon auditioning D2000 at the store, I noticed every single song I played was distorted and sounded worse than FM radio. I noticed that barely any bass was present even in heavy bass songs. The mid sounded.... well, for a lack of a better word, grainy and lo-fi. Many songs also appeared way too bright than usual, basically I could not find a song that was satisfactory to listen to. I tried playing songs in different bitrates, but none was any good, or even close to what IE8 can produce. Additionally, I tried the various gain settings in my Mustang and none helped. Needless to say, I went home without the D2000 today.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone know which part of my configuration is causing the problem? The problem caused by me not using lossless? (My songs are in 320 and 192 mostly) Or it is because Touch simply sucks. Or is it because Mustang is not a good fit with D2000. I think I must be missing something, since I've never heard anything half as bad out of any other headphones.

It's possible that the demo set that you auditioned at the store could of had blown drivers. Maybe you could politely ask the staff at the store to allow you to try another pair that hasn't been out for demo. Personally, I have my d2000 paired up with my 2move along with either my laptop or sansa fuze. The sound is spectacular to my ears. The lows are very prominent, the mids are far from grainy, and the highs were nice as well. I also use mostl 320kbps mp3 files with a few falc albums and 192 files scattered throughout. My music still sounds great, regardless of whether its flac/320/192. Of course there may be some differences in quality between those bitrates/file types, but overall I still can enjoy all my music with my pair of d2000. So I'd suggest trying out another pair of d2000. The d2000 sound may not be for everyone, but your description kind of leads me to believe that the set you demo'd were either defective or broken.

And to answer the OP's question, I really enjoy my d2000 with my 2move and Nuforce Icon Mobile. The 2move is noticeably better than the icon mobile, but I'm pretty happy with how both amps perform with my d2000 and westone 3. You can pick up a new 3move for $260, which I think is a great deal. I was short on money so I picked up an used 2move. Either way the 2move/3move should be great with the d2000 for you. There's also other great amps out there that I haven't had the pleasure of trying yet such as the pico, predator, d3. I'd definitely look into those also. HeadphoneAddict and Skylab have some great indepth reviews of portable amplifiers if you search for their threads. Hope you find the right amp for your ears and wallet!
beerchug.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 12
about around $250, if i spend more, my mom will spank me
biggrin.gif

now i think i need a DAC (after realizing that my on-board soundcard is much better than my x-fi surround 5.1 :|)
between 3move, d3 or xm5, which one has better dac, i hope my 1st headamp purchasing won't disappoint me ^^,

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 12
Check out HeadphoneAddict's review. He reviewed many quality amp/dac's and went quite indepth with his writeups. I found his thread to be very helpful when it came to picking the right amp for me.
L3000.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

yeah something is definately not right there. bass is very present with my pico, lisa III or out of the HP out on my RME FF400. the mids are not at all grainy and the highs are very nice too. if the D2000 was as bad as you claim, do you really think people would spend $1200 to get a set of modded woodied jena cabled MD2000??? I would agree that they were probably blown from idiots flogging them while demoing them. the bass slam should be better than IE8 IMO but perhaps not the same bass quantity; especially when paired with the mustang the IE8 would show a substantial bass hump.

go and see if they will let you try one out of the box, maybe have your money with you and wave it in front of them.

this just isnt right
confused.gif

lto the OP I would get the 3move over the D3 if I were you. as I have explained there have been numerous reports of RF and EMF interference when used in computer setups. there have also been several reports of bad grounding issues with the case and some not so flattering customer service experiences. IOf course when you sell as many units as ibasso have been, there are bound to be soe problems, but there does seem to be an inordinate amount. good luck
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 12
The D3 indeed sounds very nice with the D2000: Spacious, enough warmth, and a little bit to the bright side. It's a very nice combination. I personally never experience the RF interference issues but you should be cautious anyway because it's mentioned very often around here. Perhaps a shielding pouch (DealExtreme has one but the site is down for me now) can help.

The Zero DAC, with discrete OPA, is ahead of the D3 though in all respects and I suspect the P3 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back