Natalie Merchant
Dec 20, 2001 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

timoteus

500+ Head-Fier
Has anybody been listening to the new "Motherland" CD?

I think it's another winner from an artist that keeps growing on me. A couple of very powerful cuts on this one, "This House is on Fire" and "Saint Judas".

Dec 20, 2001 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 4
10,000 Maniacs Our Time in Eden is one of my top 5 records of all time. And I listen mainly to hard rock/heavy metal/noise. There isn't a weak spot on that record.

However, I think Natalie lost focus after breaking away from 10,000 Maniacs. She's a very talented artist, but from the so-so quality of her later output, it seems the input from her original band went a long way to improving the overall presentation. That being said, I don't think Tigerlily and Ophelia are bad albums. But they don't have that heart-wrenching beauty that Our Time in Eden will always have for me.

cajunchrist

Dec 23, 2001 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 4
Have been listening to Natalie here too.

I found her latest album quite heavy going but good all the same. I agree with you on 'This House Is On Fire' a great track.

I think I shall have to listen to it a few more time yet though before I can make a real decision on the album. I suspect like so many other other albums, it will get better and better with each listen.

Is it just me or do other people find that albums that you instantly like get relegated to the garbage after a while. Whilst albums that don't have any impact on first listen soon grow to be an 'essetial' part of your collection?

Seasons Greetings an happy listening

Dec 24, 2001 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 4
I've been waiting... "Just can't last" was plugged on the radio for quite a while, but the album still hasn't been released locally.
frown.gif

Natalie to me is one of those who maintains a rather constant quality in her works... seems to be a Scorpio thing? She's one of those who doesn't always make much sense on first listen, but grows extensively on me like several other artists of the same sign.

A big chunk of evil generalization, but it just makes me wonder sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back