Name your choice of the 5 ultimate dynamic headphone amps
Apr 20, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #16 of 19
Singlepower SDS-XLR
Singlepower SDS
All others I have heard were no where near the quality of these two.

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #17 of 19
Zana Duex Can't really think of anything else. Lets see here.
confused.gif
Hummmmm hummmmm hummm. No, nothing else. The Zana Duex is the only one that comes to mind.
icon10.gif

EDIT Hold the presses. I just thought of some more. The Moth/EC variations of the 2A3, the EC Dual Mono, and the HD25.

Apr 21, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #18 of 19
Lets see .... the Singlepower Supra 392 is the current#1.

But a modded Supra-X is in the works.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I am still smitten with the Singlepower SLAM's .... either the MPX3 SLAM or the PPX3 SLAM as #2 / #3.

The EC Zana Duex is an excellent tube amp and my favorite non- Singlepower amp at #4.

I think I will throw in one of the Gilmore designs for my solid state amp choice .... either the GS-1 or the Dynahi at #5.

Apr 21, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #19 of 19
I picked up a Portal Panache to use the speaker taps for K1000s - it did not disappoint, it sounds fantastic.

The bonus is the headphone jack with my HP-2s - it puts any other headphone amp I've tried to shame.

I agree with those that say this is a bit silly, though - I haven't heard all of the top headphone amps, and most people probably haven't either, and even rarer for someone to have spent significant quality time with all the top contenders!

On a more modest note, for the price, the Headroom Micro Amp (desktop module) is pretty inspiring, and killer at the price - it works great with Grado RS-1s, that seems to be a killer match, I prefer it to my Earmax Pro and Grado headphone amps.

But the Portal is seriously rocking my world, an incredibly powerful, dynamic, clean, and musical headphone rig.

-- Gordie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back